cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant as master data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

Suppose client wants plant tobe maintained as a config.[master] data - how will we take care in MDM as this field is also appearing in the material master repository. ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

In the standard Material repository provided by SAP MDM, you see a qualified table called "Location Data". Products Main table has a field called "Location Data" as a Lookup[Qualified(multi-valued)], which is in reference to "Location Data" qualified table.

"Location Data" field will contain the Plant specific material information.

If you need to extend the information in this table, you can add the respective fields and maintain.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subbu,

Yeah!! I am aware of this location data. But if the requirement is to maintain Plant also as a master data - should we create a new repo for plant or handle it thru the existing one which has Plant in the location data.

Thanks,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

I would suggest putting in the same repository.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinay,

Before taking the decession on whether to include the Plant Master data in the same repository or to maintain a separate repository, you need to understand the following:

1. How much master data is involved in Plant data?

2. Is this information in any way used by other repositories as well apart from Material Repository?

Based on these, the following points may influence your decession:

1. There is no out of the box Cross-Repository communication.

2. The Data modeling involved for Plant data drives you for a "Main" table or not. - As you might already know, currently you cannot have more than one Main table in a repository.

3. Does it involve any data to be placed in Qualified tables? - Please note that Qualified tables can only be associated with Main table.

There can be many other points like 2 and 3 which may drive you for a separate repository. So, my suggetion would be to understand the Master data to be maintained specific to Plant data and drill down to Data Modelling. If it involves only couple of flat tables and there is no need to have a Main table, then you can think of adding to the same repository.

My feeling is, once you start understanding your requirements more and more, you may think of creating a separate repository - But you will always have the overhead of Cross-Repository communication.

All the best and let me know in case you need any other info.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar