cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW 7.0 EHP1_SP3 error: SAP_ABA is in an undefined state

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SDNers,

I'm implementing SAP Enhancement Package 1 (SP3) for NW 7.0 on an MSCS BI system (ABAP).

I've downloaded the patches, and the SPSTab.xml file, and have them all in place. I started the application and it gets through the extraction phase ok, except it errors out during the PREP_INIT/VALCHK_INI

See below:

09/03/19 11:42:26 START OF PHASE PREP_INIT/VALCHK_INI

SEVERE ERROR: SAP_ABA is in an undefined state,

that is not safe to be upgraded !!!

Reason: Upgrade wasn't completed.

Call the SAP Support!!!

- "continue"

- "cancel"

Enter one of these options [continue] := continue

ERROR: Component 'SAP_ABA ' is in an undefined state 'Upgrade wasn't completed' - maybe upgrade was not reset?

ERROR: Component 'SAP_ABA ' is in an undefined state 'Upgrade wasn't completed' - maybe upgrade was not reset?

I have encountered earlier errors where I was forced to upgrade my EHP Installer (From NW 7.00 patch 8, to 9, finally to 10) and I think this error might be a result of having run the EHPI in an earlier version.

I have read the Troubleshooting documentation, the installation guide, and the prerequisite Notes, as well as done an extensive Google/SAP Notes/SDN forums search finding no references to this error.

I have tried to reset the installation using the EHPI reset functionality, but I just get the message:

"Resetting the EhP Installation is not possible"

There must be some indicator that the EHPI has run before, to cause this error, but I have completely deleted the EHPI directory, so I know it's not in there.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Troy Shane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

we had the same problem. read note: 1175848

-

Phase VALCHK_INI

Description: In this phase, an error can occur when you have incorrectly tried to reset the enhancement package installation. For example, you have not used the Back button on the GUI or the Reset Installation command from the menu bar. Instead, you have just aborted SAPehpi and deleted the installation directory. This results in an inconistent state in the system and a failure in phase VALCHK_INI when you start the installation program again.

If you were in one of the preparation roadmap steps when you tried to reset the installation, proceed as follows:

Procedure for UNIX and Windows:

1. Change to the EHPI/abap/bin directory (Windows: EHPI\abap\bin)

2. Enter the following command:

./SAPehpi reset prepare (Windows: .\SAPehpi. exe reset prepare)

3. Delete the EHPI directory.

4. Start SAPehpi again.

Procedure for IBM i:

1. Start Qshell by entering the command QSH.

2. Enter the following commands:

cd <base directory>/EHPI/abap/bin

export LIBPATH=.

./SAPehpi reset prepare

3. Delete the EHPI directory.

4. Start SAPehpi again.

If you already had reached the Preprocessing roadmap step, then

contact SAP Support.

-

after that you can restart the EHPI.

regards

simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Simon for listing the steps. OSS note 1175848 was marked as "The requested SAP Note is either in reworking or is released internally only" when we needed to look at it during our Upgrade phase.

The steps mentioned in your posting helped us resolve the error and continue with the EHP1 upgrade process.

Thanks again

- Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, I too have suffered this error , and I could afford it so I'll add my issue:

trying /SAPehpi reset prepare, get the error: UVERS cannot be reset !!!.

In the transaction SE16, I note that the data of the table are not real, are of a higher version than mine (SAP_ABA 701 and more...my version was 700) . this is because during the upgrade process, the server down and left remnants of the process at that table. In this case (attention!!! only this case!!!) the solution is to delete rows of the table from sql command (NOT DROP THE TABLE, ONLY delete rows). and now we can do again /SAPehpi reset prepare with no errors.

Finally you must Delete the EHPI directory and Start SAPehpi again.

Best Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My problem was resolved too, appling the steps above.

Thank you for the help.

Regrads,

walter_dieringer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for providing the solution for this problem. First I reset the installation with

cd EHPI\abap\bin & .\SAPehpi.exe reset prepare

Enter the path of your root directory [S:\EhP4inst\EHPI\abap]:

Root directory =

Starting to reset PREPARE.

Removing directory tree S:\EhP4inst\EHPI\abap\BBE

Integration of change requests was reset.

Using new method to reset stati.

Entries made in the database by PREPARE were removed.

You still have to empty upgrade directory S:\EhP4inst\EHPI\abap manually.

- "continue"

- "cancel"

Enter one of these options [continue] := continue

then I restarted the EhP4 installation with a complete new directory, and it worked fine!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

there are some tables that are used by SPAM and SAINT named AVERS, CVERS, UVERS.

When you upgrade a system, the upgrade tools closely work with SPAM and SAINT. I think that you will find the reasons for the error in the lines of one of the table.

But since an upgrade is a complex process, you should involve the sap support as mentioned in the error message.

Regards,

Volker