cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Overhead vs ABAP transactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have been told by SAP consultants we should not use RFC calls to maintain data in Access databases. Because of this we have been writing ABAP programs and SAP queries the users can run then manually download and import the data into Access using files.

Do RFC calls have overhead that we should be doing all these work arounds? We would like to have the Access databases just use RFC to get the desired data when the user needs it.

Any thoughts and recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate the info. This is refering to getting data out of SAP with a RFC call and updating an "Access" database... I do not see any performance difference between running a transaction on the SAP front-end and running an RFC call directly to get data from SAP. Is there a compelling reason not to use RFC calls to fetch data from SAP instead of runnnig ABAP programs on the front end?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you make the RFC calls inside the SAP software to read data, I don't see any reason against it.

In fact we use this technique a lot on a R/3 4.7 production system.

We have up to 60 RFC calls per second and it runs great.

The called function module is very simple and its response time is more or less 20 ms.

Our policy is to use RFC (and now web services) when we need synchronous data and to use file transfers for asynchronous data.

Bt the way, a small efficient RFC consumes much less ressources than a report or a transaction.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ganesh_s7
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.