cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing the number of Characters in a Characteristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

We are trying to increase the number of characters in a characteristic (CT04) from 30 characters to about 50 characters. Is there a SAP OSS note that we can implement in ECC6 to enable us to make this work for us ?

Thanks,

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think for this you have to modify the std prog and std tables to have fulfill ur req and this is not advisable.

If u can tell what is ur req we can fig out the solution.

Regards

Abhijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I doubt if we can really do that. Please do let me know if you find a way to change the length of that field. We modified our programs to handle such situation.

Btw if u let me know the exact requirement i might be helpful to you.

I am not sure if you want it to be shown on screen in std SAP screen. But if that is not the case and you are using a custom screen to show the values or using these values in a custom program then u may link the Characteristic to a custom table and keep the main field of length of 30 chars and Description field of 50 chars or more.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using SAP standard programs for our DMS solution. The reason why we want to increase the number of characters is because we have built in a user exit that allows us to copy an Original to a location on the intranet once it has been released. Currently we cannot put in the full path for the location in the intranet because it is restricted to 30 characters hence the need to increae the number of characters.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Now i get your requirement.

I have seen similar arrangements being used at a project for maintaining document location in characteristics.

But they don't maintain complete path in the characteristics. They have maintained certain codes for repetitive paths.

Say you want to select path X:\Intranet\Common Folders\Documents\Store1\ , the code would be Doc_Store1. And Doc_Store1 can be stored in characteristics Values.

Another way i can think of is mainatianing 2 Characteristics. In this way you may select the path upto defined length(less than 30 chars) in 1st Characteristic(Main Path)(X:\Intranet\Common Folders\),

and remaining path in 2nd Characteristic(Sub Path)(Documents\Store1\).

And the module is Cross Application module so modifying the std field is not recommended. We had to find out work around solutions in our case and at some places inform client about its limitations.

Thanks & Regards

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Could you figure any solution for the scenario you were looking for?

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have decided to shorten the path, like the sub path you mentioned. We are already using that and the guys just have to conform to such a standard. Thanks for the help though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

wc. i m glad to be of help

Abhishek