cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does SAP communicate/work? Newbie question, please be gentle . . .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am very new to SAP and trying to learn about the possible impacts to our infrastructure. Unfortunately, I have a had a hard time finding substantive documentation other than programming. Does anyone know by what mechanism (layer 4 and above OSI wise) that SAP/Netweaver uses to communicate between various landscapes when moving releases through Dev, QA and Prod? What ports does RFC use? Is there any chart that summarizes of this type of network traffic/communication methods in use by SAP? Are SAP products standardize or developed in silos in this regard?

Any information is appreciated.

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Manoj,

Thanks so much for the links. These are a bit more high level than what I was looking for, but it's a good start.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here is the port information for your reference.

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4e515a43-0e01-0010-2da1-9bcc452c280b]

Hope this helps.

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Thanks! This is great stuff. Do you happen to know how the transport between different SAP environments such as QA, DEV etc occurs? For example, does it use SOAP/XML or something legacy like connecting to a file share and running a script to retrieve it?

I know the virtualhosting portion of Netweaver applications uses a legacy browsing technique to connect to itself so I suspecting this might be the same. It would definitely cause a firewall problem if so.

Thanks again,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>Do you happen to know how the transport between different SAP environments such as QA, DEV etc >occurs? For example, does it use SOAP/XML or something legacy like connecting to a file share and >running a script to retrieve it?

If you're speaking about moving transport requests (releasing in DEV and importing in QA), yes this is based on a file share on the "transport host".

"Releasing a transport request" creates different files (cofile and datafile) in the transport file share and the next environment reads these files to "import the transport request".

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate all the timely responses and quick information. I think this does it for me for the time being.

Answers (0)