cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro structure?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

I have a general question to Web Dynpro.

When I have programmed in the past with a J2EE-engine

I made jsp-sites for the presentation in the web-browser.

Now I want to know how Web Dynpro does the presentation?

I know that there will be built a ear-file at deploying and in it is a wda-file.

But in the wda file are only class-files and meta-infos.

Where are the files for the presentation like jsp-files?

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, thank you very much.

I think I understand it now a bit better.

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

If so, please close the thread.

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok,

all informations are saved into xml-files

and when the client is a pc with windows

the server knows that the file will be a

html-file with css and js,

and the infos about the layout come from a

xml-file?

Is that right?

I only habe problem with that, that you

only have xml files and out of this there

will be crate the view?

Where are the infos where e.g. the buttons,

or textfields will be displayed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

<i>and when the client is a pc with windows the server knows that the file will be a html-file with css and js,

and the infos about the layout come from a xml-file?

Is that right?</i>

Yes, with small correction. Not a server itself, but WebDynpro container (like classic J2EE Web container).

<i>Where are the infos where e.g. the buttons,

or textfields will be displayed.</i>

At least at design time this information is stored in this XML files (like *.wdview). Next, it could be either transformed in Java code via generation (like JSP compilation) or packed as is and then used directly at run-time. Whatever approach works best -- this judgement is up to WD team, WD developers are isolated from such details.

Valery Silaev

EPAM Systems

http://www.NetWeaverTeam.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

The info about layout and the ui elements in the view is in .wdview files.Supporting info about "text" for each ui element is in .xlf files.

There is one more file created with extension .wdview.properties ...... This also contains defualy texts for ui elements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, so far so good,

but what is the format of the file that is

shown at my browser.

Is it normal html-side with a css-file for the layout?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

Actually, it depends (it == output).

Currently, in browser it is HTML + JS + CSS (and ad-hoc logic for flicker-free display)

In some mobile clients (PocketIE, for example) it is HTML (not sure about CSS, probably it is used too)

For Blackberry devices it is WML (heck, why they think that this device unnable to display HTML/CSS ???

For smart clients (like SAP GUI for Java) it is just an XML transfered between client rendering engine and server.

Valery Silaev

EPAM Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

These files are HTML only ... yes with css files.

And abt the files having UI info.... You can find them in files having .xlf extension.

WebDynPro engine generates the htmlcssjava script code using these .xlf files plus other xml files in wda archive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's not quite correct. The .xlf files contain only the translatable texts, the view layout is stored in .wdview files.

You can find the .wdview files in your NWDS if you open the Navigator and go to folder src/packages/<packagename>/<ViewName>.wdview

Armin

Message was edited by: Armin Reichert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Patrick,

Mostly inside this WDA

Seriously, xml files are, up to ceratin extent, are description of UI (in terms of view layouts, panels, tables, combo-boxes) + declaration of context structures (unlike in JSP, this is formalized artifact).

Classes merely resembles controller code.

Having xml description of UI allows to produce output for multiple devices / clients (Smart client, hand-helds, browsers). This is what JSP has declaratively but fails to do in practice.

Valery Silaev

EPAM Systems