cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can we get a license for the Netweaver Developer Workplace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

ca anybody tell me, wher to get a license-key for NW Developer Workplace.

We are currently in NW04 WebAS RampUp, and we didn't know where and how to license the NW Dev Workplace.

Didn't found any information on the Service Marketplace.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can anybody please explain to me the entire procedure for obtaining the License key for Developer Workplace.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

does anybody know, if the above described procedure is still the same or did SAP change the license conditions?

Or is it now necessary to buy this license? [ SAP NetWeaver Development Subscription|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/subscriptions/development?promo=sdnfeature]

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Edited by: fischerman on Jan 8, 2008 11:47 AM

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

nothing changed except there is a new additional license. What the guys above did not discuss and what may be misleading is that you need (and always needed) a NetWeaver Developer License for every installation of the NetWeaver Developer Workplace.

Development Subscription is an alternative for specific needs, especially ISVs and consultants in need of more then a trial version.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

thanks for your reply!

I have one more question: my company has a license for SAP NetWeaver 2004s. Do you I need an additional license, if I install the Developer Workplace on my computer or does the license we have include the installation on a developer PC?

Kind regards,

Martin

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

the question is what license you have. I'm not entitled to decide on that. Please check with your local SAP contacts what kind of license you have.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

the following menu entries/links are (exceptionally) in German:

1. After the login menu at top: Schlüssel&Bestellungen->Lizenzschlüssel

2. In the nav tree: "Lizenzschlüssel beantragen->mySAP Business Suite"

3. In the detail view on the right side: "Request license key".

4. Then the installation number of your WEB As should be available as link, select it.

5. If no system has been created so far, create one (probably J2E, but this depends on the SID you choosed during installation). The SID must match your system's one, otherwise the keys you'll receive will not work.

The further procedure is described there.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

thanks a lot, but you describe the standard way getting a licences key for a sap system.

I have to request a key for my webAs-system w64 (abap and java) this way.

Does that mean, that i have to request for all my developers, who are working with a standalone developer workplace, a seperate license-key. They have all the same SID. Is this a problem?

Our RampUp WebAS uses Oracle, the devwp uses MaxDB. Is this a problem for the request of the license keys?

And Stefan, can you tell me, how/where i can find the Hardware-Key?

Thanks in advance, and i'm still wondering why no of our SAP-Contact Person can tell us the way how to do this.

Regards Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

first of all sorry, but i don't know, how far the licensing procedure differs between "ABAP+Java" installations and "Java only" installations, since i licensed the latter so far only.

<u>Does somebody else out there have experience with licensing "dual" WebAs systems?</u>

For pure J2EE systems the hardware key can be found in the Visual Administrator at "Server Node->Services->Licensing...". That's also the place where you can register the licenses received from SAP.

I hope for you, that there's some special kind of Developer Workplace license, which is valid for multiple local installations but upto now i had to request separate licenses for each installation, because of the different hardware keys.

The common SID is no problem at all, it's even better, since you don't have to create multiple systems requesting the licenses in Service Marketplace.

Last but not least i have no idea, why you local SAP contact person can't tell you that

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps, but in the documentation it is said that <b>"Note that with a J2EE+ABAP installation (SAP Web Application Server with ABAP and J2EE), you have to import the ABAP license (see SAP License)."</b>

Here is the link: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/9f/5e533e5ff4d064e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello together,

i finally got our NW04 Devwp licensed.

The Solution was, that the SAP Peoples have to Add MaxDB as a valid Database in our System-Configuration in the Service-Marketplace.

(Our WebAS 6.40 Abap&Java was lisenced with Oracle DB)

After they have added MaxDB to the System-Config, we now can license every Developer-Marketplace, with the described procedure. (Looking for the Hardware-Key with VisualAdmin, and then requesting for a license in the Service-Marketplace)

Btw. SAP recomends to not to choose identical Instance-Names (J2E) for all the different Dev-WP Installations.

Thanks,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

Are there additional licensing costs for Developer Workplace? Do you have to pay for every installation of Developer Workplace?

Thanks and Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are no additional costs for the Developer Workplace license, provided you have a valiad SAP Netweaver license. Offcourse if you attempt to license hundreds of Dev.Workplaces and you have a Netweaver license for 50 named users, you will probably run into problems with SAP.

In short: If you have valiad SAP Netwaever license you can install and request Developer Workplace licenses witout further costs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for the reply, Frank. If you like, I will open up a new thread to be able to award you the points you deserve with this answer.

Can you also tell me what procedure is followed, or where these licenses are obtained? Is it through the same way as you apply for normal system licenses?

Thanks,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

You obtain the license though the normal channel, i.e, Service Marketplace, Make sure you define these as J2EE licenses on the system type dropdown.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the help, Frank. I really appreciate it.

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Frank,

We have installed dev workplace with MAXDB.

When asked for perm license, SAP says we are entitled to SQL server and not the MAXDB.

How did you ask SAP to add the MAXDB as a valid DB in your system configuration? Did you contact the SAP contracts team?

I feel it difficult to get this done by SAP.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi