Dear Firend,

i have downloaded patches for STACK 11 - STACK 15

SAP Version is ECC 6.0

OS Windows 2003.

DataBase MS SQL Server 2005.

Now i want update the kernel patches

Currrent version is - 146.

now i downloaded Kernel Version is 185

SAPEXE_185_20000972.SAR - Kernel part 1( For Basis 7.00) - SAP kernel 7.00 32 Bit UNICODE

SAPEXE_185_20000973.SAR - Kernel part 2( For Basis 7.00) - SAP kernel 7.00 32 Bit UNICODE.

How can i upload this kernel patch in to my SAP DEV and PRD server pls guide me.

Regards

keshav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos
      • It is recommended that the /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run directory be copied to /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/backup_run before replacing the kernel ***

1.Log on to the appropriate server as <sid>adm.

2.Double check that the SAP instance, SAPOSCOL, and SAP<SID>_00 services are stopped.

3.To apply the new kernel patch to a R/3 instance, copy the new files into usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\run directory. If prompted for overwrites, say yes to all.

4.After the new kernel has been copied make sure that the following file ownerships are correct:

All files in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run <sid>adm

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/saposcol root

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/br* ora<sid>

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/sapdba ora<sid>

5.After the successful completion of the kernel patch, you may bring the instance back up and log off the server.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAPEXE_185_20000972.SAR - Kernel part 1( For Basis 7.00) - SAP kernel 7.00 32 Bit UNICODE

SAPEXE_185_20000973.SAR - Kernel part 2( For Basis 7.00) - SAP kernel 7.00 32 Bit UNICODE

This sounds wrong... you should have one database independent part SAPEXE and one database dependent part SAPDBEXE

So seems like this is wrong from the very beginning.

How can i upload this kernel patch in to my SAP DEV and PRD server pls guide me.

Theres plenty of info in the posts above on how to change the kernel. Please read carefully.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keshav,

1). uncar all the new kernel files.

2) Take a backup of the current running kernel.

3). Setup an outage timing.

4). Stop SAP, saposcol, database.

5). Copy the latest kernel files into /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory. While doing this, if you get any error message saying "running program", then login as root (or use sudo access) and run /usr/sbin/slibclean.

7). Start database, saposcol and sap.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Hari Kishan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Read note 1276747 before applying kernel 185 with MS SQL. You'll want to create the index before applying the kernel.

For the last year I've been unimpressed with the SAP kernels, they haven't lived up to SAP's usual high standards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keshav

as mentioned by last replier to this thread pls do not run SGEN it has nothing to do with kernel upgrade ...rest explaination is i guess self explinatory..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Keshav,

1. Uncar these files

2. Take the backup of your run folder

3. After stopping SAP and saposcol,just copy the incarred kernel files to your run directory.when you do that it will say for some files that they already exists,just ignore that) and keep overwritiing

4. Also make sure that your SAPMMC is closed

5. After doing this start you SAP

and please dont ever run the SGEN t-code,it is not at all required

Also you have to overwrite the files in the run directory otherwise your kernel upgrade will fail for sure

Let me know of any issues

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keshav

before upgrading kernel you neet fallow some sort of prerequisties

Take backup of Present Kernel (usr/sap/sid/sys/exe/run),

take the proper schedule time for doing kernelupgrad.

then fallow the steps

Uncare the SAR file to your new created directory called Run (* commend is sapcar - xvf <filename>)

then go to usr/sap/sid/sys/exe/run directory and rename run directory to runold

then manuvally stop R/3 and database, and services called saposcol, sapsid instance

next copy the directory called Run which your uncar those files.

then past in usr/sap/sid/sys/exe

then start R/3.

fallow this procedure kernelupgrade has been completed.

once login to R/3 then run SGEN tcode.

Regards

bandla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Keshav,

Please check this note 19466. This note will give you all information about downloading and procedure to update kernel patch.

Thanks

Raj