cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role of NW Mobile 7.1 with always-connected mobile scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I keep hearing about Netweaver Mobile 7.1 and always-connected (online) applications but I do not understand what role NW Mobile 7.1 plays in thi scenario. Here is my current understanding.

Always-connected application are developed in WebDynpro on any Netweaver plattform (usually the ECC 6.0 platform or any other version). These applications can then be called from and displayed in a handheld device. This requires a real-time connection (e.g. WiFi) to the backend system (e.g. ECC 6.0).

The development of these applications can be done in NWDS for WebDynpro for Java (Mobile perspective) or in ABAP Workbench for WebDynpro for ABAP. Is this (very) high-level summary correct?

Occasionally-connected applications are developed in NW Mobile 7.1 system landscape (not on ECC 6.0 landscape) for the data objects, distribution models, etc and the application is developed in NWDS (mobile perspective). Data is being synchronized using the DOE of NW Mobile and sent back and forth between handheld and backend. Any other comments here?

My questions are:

- What role does NW Mobile 7.1 play in always-connected mobile scenarios?

- Can I build an always-connected application in NW Mobile 7.1 using WebDynpro? What are the benefits of doing so?

- Can a WebDynpro application be executed offline on a handheld using NW Mobile 7.1?

Any information to my questions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wolfgang,

there is no need of a NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 server if you wan't to build an always connected application.

As you already mentioned you just require a SAP JAVA AS and the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio in order to develop a Mobile Always Connected Application.

This is part of the SAP NetWeaver (6.40 7.0) shipment but also part of the SAP NetWeaver CE shipment.

A Mobile Always Connected is a browser based application which provides you a direct access to your SAP systems but also to non SAP systems.

This solution does not require any installation on your device and it does not store any data on your device. The technology is ideal if you do not require an out of signal operation.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your reply. I just need some more clarifications.

Can I build an always-connected application in NW Mobile 7.1 using WebDynpro? What are the benefits of doing so? and as I wrote to you in an earlier email from March 12th.

Can a WebDynpro application be executed offline on a handheld using NW Mobile 7.1? We basically want to use an existing WebDynpro application and run it in offline-mode. This would avoid to redevelop this application again in NW Mobile.

Also, in the 2008 SAP Teched session "UP109 SAP NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 A Powerful Architecture and What You Can Do With It" Summary slide 58 it says:

"The SAP NetWeaverMobile platform provides capabilities to develop, deploy and operate mobile scenarios for occasionally connected and always connected mobile devices"

What does SAP Netweaver Mobile platform consist of? The NW Mobile 7.1 only? Any other components? As you said we do not need NW Mobile for always-connected applications. So, what does NW Mobile 7.1 do for always-connected applications?

Thanks again for your answers.

Regards,

Wolfgang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang

One question I can answer is that the Webdynpro applications developed for online applications cannot run in offline mode. We have to use the other perspectives provided for development of offline applications.

Also online applications uses Java Application server where as offline applications uses DOE which is an ABAP server. Online applications are browser based where as offline applications have a separate client installed in device.

Thanks and Regards

Vidyadhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang,

"The SAP NetWeaverMobile platform provides capabilities to develop, deploy and operate mobile scenarios for occasionally connected and always connected mobile devices"

All that means is if the environment supports continuous connectivity then the user can syncrhonize whenever he wants to and update the backend from data collected and stored locally. In simple terms the user must trigger the synchronization event manually (PDA).

Regards,

Wael

Answers (0)