Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI Security

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using the following scenario :

Customers network (SAPGUI) ---> Internet --> SAP Router (in my DMZ) --> SAP ABAP AS (my network)

If I don't use any security software at both workstation side and SAP server side, Is the connection from SAPGUI to my SAProuter secure enough? If not, what's the best solution?

P.S. my main concern is user name & password not to be hacked during transmission between SAPGUI client and SAP server.

Rgds,

Sheikh Saggaf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sheikh,

In this case, the users password will be transmitted over Internet in "compressed" format. This is not very secure, so I suggest you consider using a VPN (if you are not already) and also consider using SNC authentication to logon to SAP ABAP, in which case a cryptogtraphic token will be transmitted over the Internet (or over a VPN tunnel) instead of any userid and password information.

Thanks,

Tim

6 REPLIES 6

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sheikh,

In this case, the users password will be transmitted over Internet in "compressed" format. This is not very secure, so I suggest you consider using a VPN (if you are not already) and also consider using SNC authentication to logon to SAP ABAP, in which case a cryptogtraphic token will be transmitted over the Internet (or over a VPN tunnel) instead of any userid and password information.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Time for your reply.

If I don't want to give VPN access, and want to use SNC, Is it supported by SAP at client side with SAPGUI for win? or Should I be licensed through a third party product?

Appreciate any docs for using SNC with SAPGUI ... Thx

Rgds,

Sheikh

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sheikh,

When you use SNC authentication, you need to use an SNC library on both workstation and on ABAP AS server side. The SNC library you use must be using same security mechanism/protocol.

Also, if your SAP system is on UNIX or Linux, then you cannot use the SNC library provided by SAP. In this case you need to use an SNC library from a SAP partner company, and they will provide you with a supported SNC library for use on both Windows workstations and on UNIX or Linux servers.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos

Hello Sheik,

there are some documents available at service.sap.com/security->Security in Detail->Secure User Access ->Authentication & Single Sign-On (for instance the SNC User's Guide )

b.rgds,

Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Could you suggest any good product which support SNC at both server and client side Pls?

Thx

Sheikh

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sheikh,

Yes, in fact, I work for a SAP partner company who sells such a product.

Thanks,

Tim