SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare SAP Transactionware General Merchandise (TGM) and Enterprise (TE)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am trying to increase my awareness about SAP POS. I understand SAP has 2 different POS solutions TGM and TE for retailers, but reading about these applications i only get the info that both have comparable features, TE is based on a technology which is more advanced and TGM is a more stable solution.

But i want to know, why did SAP come up with TE when TGM is already a established package in the market. When should one use TE & when should one use TGM. What differentiates them (one for general merchandise , but why so specific to GM and what does GM encompass. Is it grocery, hardlines, softlines, etc). What about the compatibility issue with IS-Retail and also the pricing for the 2 packages.

Looking forward to some valuable inputs from you.

Thanks and regards

Sudipta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shivhare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP TGM consists of Store Client applications running on the store POS systems to process POS transactions, Store Server applications running in the store's back office to serve connective, operative and administrative needs and applications running in the head office to allow central configuration

SAP Transactionware Enterprise (SAP TE) promotes open systems and optimal flexibility. It accomplishes this by using Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) technology for developing the framework and application components of SAP Transactionware Enterprise. Other open standards have been used in the development of SAP Transactionware Enterprise, such as XML and Java POS. This gives SAP Transactionware Enterprise the ability to be platform-independent

SAP TE POS application run on browser.

Regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shivhare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP TGM consists of Store Client applications running on the store POS systems to process POS transactions, Store Server applications running in the store's back office to serve connective, operative and administrative needs and applications running in the head office to allow central configuration

SAP Transactionware Enterprise (SAP TE) promotes open systems and optimal flexibility. It accomplishes this by using Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) technology for developing the framework and application components of SAP Transactionware Enterprise. Other open standards have been used in the development of SAP Transactionware Enterprise, such as XML and Java POS. This gives SAP Transactionware Enterprise the ability to be platform-independent

SAP TE POS application run on browser.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

Thanks for your reply. Your reply brings out the technical difference between the two packages, and i am looking for a more functional view wherein someone can explain:

1. The difference in functionality between the two applications

2. Target retail segments for them (grocery, softlines or hardlines)

3. Something on for which business scenario to use TGM and when to use TE

In case you or some other expert have the answers to the above, it will be highly appriciated.

Thank you

Sudipta Mukherjee

shivhare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP Transactionware GM meets the needs of a wide variety of retailers,

with extensive POS functionality and flexible definition and management of POS business

rules and processes via a simple, table-driven configuration process.

In SAP GM Retailers include

department, c-store, liquor, gas, specialty, apparel, big box, and a number of other retail

verticals. Additionally, the solution is offered with powerful in-store back office capabilities to

enable store-level environment management and reporting

But in SAP EPOS lack of above functionality. i think this will be helpfull for you

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points.

Regarding the difference in functionality between SAP POS and Enterprise POS, the two products are extremely rich in functionality, but there are differences between the two products (i.e. in some cases Enterprise POS contains functionality not available in SAP POS and, in other cases, there is functionality available in SAP POS that is not available in Enterprise POS).

Also, regarding the open concept of Enterprise POS, it is correct that Enterprise POS is a JEE product designed to support multiple platforms (i.e. databases, middleware, etc), but we currently support only specific platform options in the CORE version of Enterprise POS. This is done because SAP rigorously tests Enterprise POS on any platforms stated as supported, as well an ensure we are prepared to support the product on that platform. Information on the specific platforms supported is available in the Product Availability Matrix and on the Product Fact Sheet.

Regards,

Ian

shivhare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ian

nice illumination for understanding product structure

Regards,

Amit