cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison Oracle and DB2 compression feature

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

recently I found a statement about the compression techniques used in ORACLE and DB2

based on the SAP Note : https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/980067

It lists the caveats of deep compression comparing to Oracle's compression (used since 9i).

http://docs.oraclewhitepapers.com/oraclewhitepapers/oracle-oracle-database-207/?pg=13&pm=1&u1=friend...

enjoy reading

bye

yk

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

closed this ; look at thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

The new 11g feature OLTP compression has already been discussed, check this thread: . I did quite a few tests myself, with outstanding results.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mho,

thanks for the link.

We use 10g compression for big customer tables (about 300 Gbyte) and could

bring it down to 70% (90 Gigs).

Any expiriences for SAP BW tables (PSA, ODS change log)?

Did you check the problem with adding colums with an initial value / dropping columns

to a compressed table in 11g ?

bye

yk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did most of my testing on a 11g database, but as far as i know the compression is very similar to that in 10g. The main difference is, that you can use the compression FOR ALL OPERATIONS, thus it is called OLTP compression. With 10g you can only compress for direct-path operations.

I did a test in a BW system too, the main difference of the data is, that we have mainly number fields. So if you have a lot of similar numbers in one block, the compression will be very good. I did a test on a fact table (/BIC/E...) and got a compression factor of ~5.

Did you check the problem with adding colums with an initial value / dropping columns

to a compressed table in 11g ?

No, i did not test that, but according to the documentation, the restriction is no more for ACO compression:

Adding a Column to a Compressed Table

If you enable compression for all operations on a table, you can add columns to that table with or without default values. If you enable compression for direct-path inserts only, you can add columns only if you do not specify default values.

Source: [Adding Table Columns|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/tables006.htm#sthref1856]

Just to mention, i only did some testing out of curiosity. As either 11g nor ACO compression is not officially supported by SAP, we do not have any plans so far to use them in production.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Just to mention, i only did some testing out of curiosity. As either 11g nor ACO compression is not officially supported by SAP, we do not have any plans so far to use them in production.

>

> Regards, Michael

Did you use it also under 10g?

1289494 - FAQ: Oracle compression

13. What extent of table compression is permitted in the SAP environment?

Due to the restrictions described above, table compression in the SAP 
environment is permitted only for certain table classes in BI. See Notes 701235 and 1231895 for more information.

Up to now we use a "CTAS with compression"- approach to write into partitioned customer tables.

Did you use BRSPACE for uncompress and wich problems do you encounter ?

In 10g :

1289494 - FAQ: Oracle compression states:

* Online reorganization of a table with BRSPACE:

brspace -f tbreorg -t <table_name> -DBD

BRSPACE uses the "-DBD" option to deactivate compression for the target table.

Could their be an issue with "Bug 6512811 - ORA-39726 adding column to table after it is uncompressed"

when the online reorg tries to add a column in "redefinition ROWID" - mode ?

bye

yk

Edited by: YukonKid on Mar 17, 2009 1:14 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you use it also under 10g?

No, personnally i think we will not be starting using compression before ACO is supported on 11g.

Did you use BRSPACE for uncompress and wich problems do you encounter?

No, i used BR*SPACE do compress the tables, but as it does not support the compress for all operations clause, i had to add it manually.

Well i don't know about bug 6512811, if you have that ORA- error, then it might be worth to open a support case.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mho,

Test on Oracle 10.2.0.2:

deactivating compression with BRSPACE (online reorganization): Runs fine in 10.2.0.2

activating compression with BRSPACE (online reorganization):

error thrown based on

"Bug 6268371 ORA-12996 / ORA-12998 / corruption from ALTER TABLE DROP UNUSED COLUMNS CHECKPOINT"

The reason is, that the online redefinition process can't use it's primary key mode (SAP tables doesn't add this constraints to the table) and hence must switch to ROWID mode adding a column storing the ROWID into the interim table for synchronizing the DML gone into the table to be redefined.

This column is set to UNUSED by the process later and should be dropped by

alter table Tab_redefined drop unused columns;

IF the table was redefined to NOCOMPRESS the column can be dropped without a problem,

IF the table was redefined to COMPRESS the column can't be dropped and runs into the bug

mentioned.

The metalink note says this should be fixed in 10.2.0.4 and 11g (wich I have to test )

bye

yk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

got following workaround for the bug mentioned in previous post while reorganize a SAP table to COMPRESSED

1. add a primary key to the table to be redefined USING the unique index

ALTER TABLE tab_redef ADD CONSTRAINT tab_redef_PK 
          PRIMARY KEY (...) USING INDEX ;

2. start the redefinition in primary key mode (no ROWID column needed to add)

3. Drop the constraint after redefinition KEEPING the index

ALTER TABLE tab_redef DROP CONSTRAINT tabredef_PK KEEP INDEX ;

bye

yk

got to put it in a new thread

Edited by: YukonKid on Mar 18, 2009 9:49 AM