cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EWM setup

Former Member

Hi All,

I am WM person and have been doing some research on EWM. I would really appreciate if any can reply to my basic questions about EWM. My client has upgraded to SCM 5.0 recently and they only use DP in their APO as of now. But Now I see application EWM in it. I have been reading lot about EWM in these Forums and advantage it has over WM.

My Questions:

1) As per knowledge I got from this community I can use EWM in SCM with out any additional add-ons on ECC. If yes, then do I need to set up complete WM strucure (replicate from ECC) in EWM to start using EWM functional in SCM?? In other words how can I start using EWM?

2) After EWM is set up do we need to do all WM transactions in EWM itself? In that case should GR/GI process is performed in ECC at IM level and putway/picking should be performed in EWM in SCM?!?!?

In other words does user need to logon to ECC and SCM to perform complete Inbound / Outbound process.

3) If we start performing transactions in SCM does system updates stock location, qty in WM in ECC?!?

4) If we want to use new applicaiton, (Eg: 2 step picking in warehouse) which was not used in WM yet. Can this be configured directly in EWM in SCM and start using it in SCM. Or do we need to redo same peice in ECC WM. In that case do we need to care about WM at all?!?!

I know all the above questions are basic. I would really appricate if any one can answer those.

Thanks in Advance,

Sara.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186262
Participant
0 Kudos

HI SG1

Please make note of the following points -

1. ECC WM and SCM EWM cannot be used together for the same Plant-SLoc. A Sloc can either be WM managed or EWM managed. Hence you need not set up complete WM strucure (replicate from ECC) in EWM to start using EWM functional in SCM.

2. EWM is a part of the SCM suite but need a separate license to active and be used. For more details on that please contact SAP India Sales teams.

3. EWM needs a ERP in the backend to operate. Most (not all) transactions begin in ERP and are executed in EWM. Eg - PO is made in ERP and a delivery is created in ERP - this gets replicated in EWM as a Inbound Delivery Notification. This is then processed as a Inbound delivery in EWM. The result is the GR completion in EWM and the stock update in ERP.

4.Config for additional functions is mostly done in EWM (though some config in ERP may also be needed - ex -for batch management - it has tobe active in ERP before you use it in EWM.)

Last but not the least - EWM is not a substitute for WM. Both have their place in the Warehousing and storage space. Please refer to the differences mentioned in various literature on the net.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) offers you flexible, automated support for processing various goods movements and for managing stocks in your warehouse complex. The system supports planned and efficient processing of all logistics processes in your warehouse

EWM is completely integrated into Inventory Management and Delivery Processing. Business processes, which you trigger in other application components, lead to physical goods movements in your warehouse. You organize, control, and monitor these goods movements using EWM.

You map the entirety of your storage facilities in EWM. You can set up different storage facilities such as automatic warehouses, high-rack storage areas, bulk storage areas, or fixed bin warehouses, in various

You process all goods movements that affect your warehouse using EWM, such as goods receipts, goods issues, stock transfers, and automatic replenishment. These movements can include goods receipts, goods issues, stock transfers, automatic replenishment, management of dangerous goods, layout-oriented and process-oriented storage control, effective work preparation using automatic wave pick creation, resource optimization using rule-based bundling of warehouse tasks, or processing of inventory differences in your warehouse.

EWM also contains an interface to external systems (warehouse control units). This enables you to integrate automated putaway and stock removal systems, or forklift control systems for all stock movements using this Application Link Enabling interface (ALE interface) in the warehouse management system.

Rgds

madhu