cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise to replace BI development server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process to replace BI development server with new hardware (SAP instance name is also changed). Currently, The original source ssyem is connected to old BI development server, The new BI development server is installed. We like to move EVERYTHING from old BI develoment server to new BI development server and connect original source system to the new BI development server. Database copy will not work since old BI develoment server is dual-stack installation, However, The new BI development server is ABAP only. So I am thinking about to use transport from RSA1 to create "system copy" transport and import it to new BI development system. Here is the highligh of plan.

1. Install all necessary business contents (same as the old BI development server) in new BI server.

2. Create a transport from RSA1 with option "system copy" to capture all source system dependent objects and release it.

3. Shutdown old BI development server.

4. Connect new BI development server to original source system. (Can two BI server connect to same source system?)

5. Import the transport.

Can anyone provide inputs so I wouldn't miss something. Or someone may have even better ideas how to make such replacement?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shyam,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it is possible to export ABAP alone from a dual-stack NetWeaver 7.0 system. Can you clarify that? My original BW is ABAP+JAVA and target BW system is ABAP ONLY.

Beside, The target BW system is already installed. With the import method, The system will have to be reinstalled. Is there any other options to import database without re-install?

Regards,

Allen Cui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allen,

There are various system copy Scenarios exists among them you can considered Scenario B1: You want to copy a single BW system of the group; the source system is not copied. You want to replace a productive BW system [PRD to PRD] in your case it is DEV to DEV. I think you can use system copy with R3 load since you want to have only ABAP stack using export and import method.

Please refer the below info.

Note 886102 - System Landscape Copy for SAP BW and NW BI

Note 885343 - SAP System Landscape Copy

Note 733623 - Oracle export/import for BW system copies only for Oracle

How To guides System Copy in SAP Business Intelligence System Landscapes

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700003128302006E

Heterogeneous SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence (BI) System Copy to DB2, Linux,UNIX and Windows

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0546f90-998b-2a10-0fae-989576a8....

Since your new syetem will be different one(new host name and SID) BI server connect to same source system

Thank you,

Shyam