cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB Server/client upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know the difference between server & client software. If i upgrade client only with out server are there any backdrops.

What components are going to get upgraded when i do client only or both.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Can anyone please let me know the difference between server & client software. If i upgrade client only with out server are there any backdrops.

Hi Koby,

just a remark: if you don't know what client and server software means, you probably shouldn't install/update anything like it.

Anyhow, let's see if we can give an answer to your question.

The database client software is the software used to use the database.

It includes different client libraries for programmers, dba tools like dbmcli and sqlcli.

The jdbc driver is a part of the client software as well.

On the other hand the server component includes things like the x_server, the dbmserver executable and the MaxDB kernel as well.

Be aware that in this context the distinction between client and server is made on the software layer.

It's about the roles that the different programs play in the system and not about on which machine the software is installed.

Therefore you will typically find all the client software parts also on the database server.

It useful to have it there, as most often we want to be able to access the database also when we're logged on to the database server.

On any client computer (the SAP Web Application servers would be the clients of the database here) on the other hand, you will just have the client packages installed because there we don't need any part of the server programs.

Now if you ask what happens when you just upgrade the client software and leave the server software as it is, we already know that you're talking about the machine on which the database server runs.

Due to the software structure of MaxDB (release dependent and independent parts), it is possible to upgrade the client software and leave the database software alone.

The client software belongs to the independent parts and therefore does not impair the software the database kernel runs with.

Anyhow, since you need to stop the whole MaxDB software when you're raising the version of the independent software part (which is used in a shared manner by all MaxDB components on the same machine), just upgrading the client software would be wasting the downtime of the system.

Since you should perform the upgrade on the test systems first and perform tests on them afterwards (somehow this part of the test system concept seems to be the most overlooked one) you can be sure that the upgrade of the server components won't harm your system - in fact usually a patch should remove bugs and or improve performance and reliability.

Therefore: when on the database server and installing a patch - patch your database as well!

best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Lars, really appreciate that.

my /sapdb/programs & /sapdb/data are shared by couple of systems. Should i need to shutdown all systems while applying client packages.

The reason i'm asking is one of the system that is sharing the mount point has higher server verison than the other. Ex: 7.5 on one, & 7.6 on other

I'm asuming while doing server package need to shutdown all systems that are sharing the same mount point.

Edited by: Kobby bryant on Mar 13, 2009 6:03 PM

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> my /sapdb/programs & /sapdb/data are shared by couple of systems.

> Should i need to shutdown all systems while applying client packages.

Yes, you'll have to do that, since you're updating parts of the shared components of the MaxDB installation.

> I'm asuming while doing server package need to shutdown all systems that are sharing the same mount point.

That depends.

If you're not raising the patch level of the shared components (like x_server) the other systems can continue to run.

Let's see an example:

Assume you've three databases on your server

1. NDB running on 7.6.06 Build 2

2. MDB running on 7.6.05 Build 12

3. ODB running on 7.5. Build 42

The all use the same shared components that came with the highest software version on the server, in this case it's 7.6.06 Build 2.

If you want to install a 7.6.06.02 patch to MDB that's fine - you can have the other two databases up and running during this.

If you want to upgrade ODB - the same.

As long as you don't raise the highest version installed, the other systems can be left running.

There's a pretty good documentation available for all of this: [Installation Manual - Details|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/8f/0f5289c0ae4b45995b0a77a22eaec4/content.htm].

best regards,

Lars

Answers (0)