cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Copy(remote) from Servr(Prdn client 200) to Servr (QAS client 202)?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello to all client copy gurus...

I have been asked to do a client copy from our production client 200 to our qas client 202.

My concern is that we are doing integration testing with Peoplesoft data coming into SAP HCM and I do not want to jeopordize integrity in QAS which contains clients 200, 201 and 202 (202 being the client that we are to do a client copy from client 200 Production)

Can anyone advise on the process first off, and what pitfalls I will be faced with. Will there be any question on integrity or effects on the other two clients in QAS.

Will all security / roles from client 200 prodn be brought in client 202 QAS as well. These kind of things I should know, and would appreciate being advised on

Thanks A BUNCH!

Regards,

Maria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please also make sure to consult your functional team in case you choose a client copy profile such as SAP_ALL. This is particularly important to make sure that cross client customizing is intact.

Also, you may want to check your tablespace statistics in case your QAS has never been refreshed by PRD data.

regards, Sean.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You both,

I have done the client copies before but only within the same server. and I beleive I used the sap_all option. Which did not matter.

But when doing a remote client copy from production client 200 to ONE of the 3 clients in QAS , I beleive the goal is to make client 202 in QAS the same as client 200 in production without effection configuarion etc... in the other two clients in QAS (200 and 201)

What should I be cautioning the Finance Team, because the HCM Team want this client copy?

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usually in our project I consult my functional track leads to make sure that all transports have same status in quality and prd server. Since you are refreshing a client, it would be good to first delete this client and perform a fresh remote client copy. You can further use SAP_RMPC client copy profile.

Also, as this would not bring any transaction and master data, so in contrast to my earlier statement, db size should not shoot up drastically.

PS: In case you have CO (controlling) module in addition to FI, some of their master data is also copied. I have no clue how but it does in our case

regards, Sean.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Sean,

I'm not too worried about the size of the db, as I have already done the estimate and it is not all that much.

However I am confused about your statements...

Also, as this would not bring any transaction and master data, so in contrast to my earlier statement, db size should not shoot up drastically.

But then you say if I have CO (which we do, FI, MM and CO) then some of the master data from production will come over to qas?

So are you recommending that I delete client 202 in QAS, this will allow me to get a clean start? Also, you said something about transports, actually the reason we want to copy from client 200 in production to client 202 in QAS is because the team wants to do a kind of 'dress rehearsal' of all the configurations that have gone from DEV(200) to QAS(200, 201 and 202) , we want to test the order and integrity of these transports into the newly copied client. So , the copy from prdn client 200 to qas client 202, will not have same transports. In fact client 202 in QAS has a great number of transports that production does not have yet.

???

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When I performed a remote client copy to create a pre-prod environment (after PRD !), my CO guy told that some of his client tables are updated. I'm not sure how but it did happen.

In fact client 202 in QAS has a great number of transports that production does not have yet

Won't you be refreshing QAS:202? All client specific customizing will be replaced. As for cross client customizing and any workbench requests, they won't be affected based on client copy profile selected.

Transports can be definitely tested for integrity. Please check out the client copy profiles here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/99/0a2a887e2511d2a6250000e82deaaa/content.htm

regards, Sean.

PS: BTW, Sorry for confusing you.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Sean, no worries, it's Friday today, and I'm expected to get easily confused

What about the roles/profiles(security) will this also come over from prdn client 200 to qas client 202?

and the other two clients in qas 200 and 201 will they remain untouched, intact?

Is better to delete this client 202 on QAS and just rebuild?

Yes the transports would not be in Prdn 200, and so our strategy is to re-transport into this newly refreshed/copied client 202 in qas so that we can ensure the huge list of transport being built for the HCM Project (Peoplesoft to SAP migration Payroll , Time and Labor) containing configuration and prgrms etc... can be testing to be transported into 202.

Again,

I just have this uneasiness that I may corrupt client 200 or 201 in some way by refreshing client 202?

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case you are concerned about other clients, I would strongly suggest that you select SAP_CUST (client specific customizing only). But your team will then have to devote some time to check your cross client customizing is working properly.

As for user master records/roles/auth. profiles:

In case you want to preserve the current QAS:202 ones, export the client using SAP_USER, perform remote client copy and import this client export back into QAS:202

Else, once SAP_CUST from PRD to QAS is over, just do a SAP_USER likewise.

Getting tedious e'h?

regards, Sean.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Sean,

So that I understand the process you are now recommending

1. Export Customer related security from client 202 using profile sap_user

2. client copy from client 200 Prdn to Client 202 QAS sap_all

3. import data from step 1 back so the roles/profiles are maintained

And it sounds like the CO Team may get some of their data from PRDN, back into QAS, even though I am only copying client 202 data? client 200 and 201 will also be effected for CO data?

Maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

One more questions

Do we have to have everyone logged out of the system when I do client copies?

1. QAS client 200 to client 202

2. for remote client copy from Prdn. client 200 to QAS client 202?

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria,

Client 200 and 201 will not be effected.

Also you need to make sure that all the users are logged out(preferably lock them) whenever you do client copy,may be remote or local otherwise your client copy may fail and there might be inconsistencies between the source and target clients if the users work in source client.

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit. That gives me confidence then that when doing client copy to one of the three clients in QAS the other two clients should not be effected.

Do you (or anyone) have documentation on remote client copy? or is it similar to client copy within same client? Where the RFC should be created and then the client copy can be initiated? I am confused on how the remote client copy will occur?

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi you will need an RFC from the source client to target client,it is not exactly same as Local client copy but dont be so confused

Refer to the steps at the following link:

http://www.folkszone.com/creating-remote-client-copy-scc9/374

This might help you

Let me know of any issues

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

WOW Rohit, awesome website!

Let me read thru the document... if I have questions hope you do not mind me asking

maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Actually I will NOT be creating a NEW client from Prdn in QAS

Yet, I will be refreshing an existing client in QAS with the data from Prdn.

and yes it does make me a bit nervous

Former Member
0 Kudos

just make sure that a RFC exists between PROD to QAS(and test the RFC connection) and you can go for client copy

Also make sure no users are logged on either of the two clients

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit...

btw, the program rsspacecheck,

the params...

No Class L Tables

No Class A Tables

What Should be filled in here? and why?

I usually select both? as for the results from the estimate does it give the additional disc space required?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Maria

Refer to 118823 for knowing how to check the size of a client but why dont you just go for test run for the client copy,that is a better option

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Rohit,

can I run the "TEST" client copy while people are signed on?

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes Maria....that will not be an issue...there will be just a little reduce performance during that but you can gi ahead with that

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I've run the report to compare table inconsistencies between client 202 in QAS(target) to client 200(PRDN) and there are a great number of tables listed.

I should have the devel. team investigate? or should I just run the test client copy?

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

To be able to transport all data during the client copy, the structures of all copied or transported tables in both systems must be identical. During remote client copy, an automatic Repository consistency check is performed. If inconsistencies are detected, the client copy is terminated.

It will be good if you sit with your dev. and check this out

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank You so much.

Does anyone have an approximate time on how long a client copy (SCCL) would take? and for remote client copy (SCC9) via rfc , how long it would talk?

We are a small SAP shop, about 300G total for the database on both QAS and about 175G on Prdn , however QAS does have 3 clients. Production has only about 175G

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

For local client copy,it should not take more that 3-4 hours but remeber to set the parallel background processes while doing client copy otherwise it will take a long-2 time

Remote client copy will take time,I would say around 8-10 hours,not sure though

it all varies depending on the hardware and also how fast the network conection

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit,

I ran the local client copy in test mode and it took exactly 2hrs without any changes for Parallelism

I am now running the remote client copy in test mode and I started it in background , just because it is getting late, so I hope to have results in the morning.

I really really appreciate your experiences!

Maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

anyone....?

the simualation for the local client copy took 2hrs

and the simulation for the remote client copy took about 7hrs.

I did not set the parallel processes, How do you do this?

Also, when ACTUALLY running the client copies, will it not take longer since there is writing involved?

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

Yes the actual client copies will take a longer time

now when you will give the parameters for local client copy in SCCL(Local client copy),there will be an option for setting the number of background processes on the screen,set this to 4 or 5

Also make sure that you have enough background processes in the server

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit

In fact we have plenty of Background processes. If we have 7, would it be safe to take 6?

I will be locking everyone out of the system while I run the local client copy, will it be safe to take the 6 processes?

This will definitely speed things up, as well, there is really only about 120G per client in ECQ (3clients), specifically only about 120G that will be copied, so I don't expect to have the client copy run any longer than about 2-3hrs.

Awesome!

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would suggest you for 5 background processes..this will not impact too much

Also make sure that you stop your online redo logs during client copy as they increase rapidly during client copy,so if your directory gets full,your client copy will get stopped and you will have to start it again(If you are using Oracle)

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Nope not using Oracle , SQL 2005 on Win 2003

Also, thanks for background processes , then it will be 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria,

then change the automatic logging to simple for MS SQL server through SQL server studio

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Of course, yes thanks Rohit.

M.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Regarding the remote client copy from Production client 200 back to ONLY client 202 in QAS, will the client master data that is being brought back with the remote client copy effect the OTHER two clients in QAS?

I hope not, as this will definitely effect the decision to move forward

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it will not change,by the way which profile are you using for remote client copy

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Because the migration team want client 202 in QAS wiped away and reset to reflect client 200 in Prdn

we will use sap_all

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

And it is OK if we wipe out the client master data BUT ONLY in client 202 of QAS NOT for any other clients in QAS (200 and 201)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Maria,

go ahead,no other clients will be affected

but if you still want to be on safer side,you can have a backup of QAS and then do the copy

but there should be no issues as such

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit

This is good

what about the ABAPs will the be cross client? and transports ? will they effect the other clients in QAS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nothing will be affected for other clients with SAP_ALL profile,no developments,no transports nothing

only cleint data from production will be copied to QA and it will not effect any of your developments

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

The reason I asked, is that the website you suggested FOLKZONE

had the golden rules posted and the rule below concerns me

3 When you copy a client from one system to another, client-independent tables should only be copied if they are not yet modified in the target system.

?

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes.....but you are not copying the client independent tables

you are just copying the data of a particular client,so just go ahead and do the copy

and if you still want to be on safer side,take a full offline backup of QA system

Rohit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello to all client copy gurus...

>

> I have been asked to do a client copy from our production client 200 to our qas client 202.

>

> My concern is that we are doing integration testing with Peoplesoft data coming into SAP HCM and I do not want to jeopordize integrity in QAS which contains clients 200, 201 and 202 (202 being the client that we are to do a client copy from client 200 Production)

>

Only client specific data will copy from Production system to Quality client 202 depends what profile you selected for data transfer

>

> Can anyone advise on the process first off, and what pitfalls I will be faced with. Will there be any question on integrity or effects on the other two clients in QAS.

>

On technical propsetcive both system should be equal at patch level, it will not affect your other two clients.

> Will all security / roles from client 200 prodn be brought in client 202 QAS as well. These kind of things I should know, and would appreciate being advised on

>

Again its depends on the profie you have selected. if you select SAP_ALL the everything will come otherwise it will come according to the profile you will select.

Regards,

Subhash