cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore a 'working copy' of a Local Development component ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I will like to know if there is a way to backup my Local Development components ? That way, in the event that something screws up in my developmenet work, I am still able to 'restore' it back to a previous working state. I know this can be done very easily a Web Dynpro project by simply importing an "Exisiting Project into Workspace"

While the importing and re-importing of a web dynpro project is relatively straight forward, the way to do so for a local development project seems to be a little different.

In the case of a local development (this is my first time attempting a local development project), I chose the export to Zip file option. However, when I re-import back, (there were no error messages primpted), my work is not correctly reflected. The problem lies with the incorrect creation of the folder structures being imported from the zip file. To solve the problem, I need to manually :

1) delete the all existing folders under the local development directory,

2) extract the zip file manually and copy + paste that folder structure to replace the delete directory in 1).

3) Close + Restart NWDS,

4) then it works.

I am not very particularly comfortable with the idea of cut and paste as there are usually tons of metadata generated for web dynpro projects. Hence, I will like to know if there is a better way of doing this ?

Also, I noticed that the project that was unzippied are missing folders : cfg, lib, META FOLDER and test. Is it even advisable to use the cut and paste method ?

Thanks in advance.

from

Kwok Wei

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kwok,

I would recommend that you do a standard file system back-up rather than using the project import/export functions within Eclipse/NWDS. You can then copy the files back over the project directory if you need.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the same process applies if I am attempting to export a project that was checked out from the DTR and import into a Local Development project ?

from

KW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kwok,

If you're using a DTR, then I would recommend that you back up the DTR instead of your local file system. Do you have backup software for your J2EE/database server?

If you search the forums for DTR and backup, you'll find a number of threads on this topic.

Cheers,

Jonathan