Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defining INBOUND and OUTBOUND

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Every One,

I have a very small question.

How do we define INBOUND and OUTBOUND?

I got this doubt, when I read some material, sometimes the directions (INBOUND and OUTBOUND) are told as per application systems which participate in message exchange? Sometimes the directions are told as per the XI integratin server.

Which of the 2 methods stated above is correct?

I hope I am clear in what I wanted to convey.

Bye, tschüs, adeu

-Naveen.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NaveenKumar,

You use a message interface to describe a platform-independent or programming-language-independent interface, which you want to use to exchange messages between application components using SAP Exchange Infrastructure. Depending on the communication parameters defined for a message interface, it can either have the task of sending a request (outbound) or receiving a request (inbound).

An outbound interface sends a request message that is only used to make a communication party aware of data sent, without waiting for a response message. In the case of the latter, we also refer to publishing interfaces.

An inbound interface receives a request message that you reply to with a direct response message or whose data you can process in the system without a response.

I guess i have helped you solve your confusion.

Regards,

abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi naveen,

with respect to XI message comintg into XI is called an inbound message and messages going out of XI is outbound message.

with respect to r\3 those messages which r posted from r\3 to xi is outbound messge(outbound to r/3).those messages which r posted from XI tio r/3 is inbound messge(inbound to r/3).

regards

jithesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Both the ways that you said is correct. There is no specific way for defining the INBOUND and OUTBOUND direction. It is usually related to the context that we talk about.

When we talk in the perspective of XI we define in one way, and even when we talk in perspective of ADAPTERS its the other way.

Hope this helps.

regards,

P.Venkat

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

The interfaces and Adapters are always with respect to the external Systems.

SO, when you want to send a file to XI, you define a sender adapter, sender / outbound interface etc.

Like wise, when you want to send a file from XI to an external System, you define a Receiver Adapter and an Inbound interface.

The trick to making things clear is always remember, it is with respect to the external system.

When an external system is to send some data, sender and when some external system is to receiver some data, receiver/ inbound interface.

Regards,

Bhavesh

former_member91687
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Whatever be the case, sending a request is called OUTBOUND and receiving a request is know as INBOUND. Though when you define your message interfaces in say a file to file etc scenarios, you would generally do it w.r.t the application system.

Regards,

Chandra