Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case insensitive search and "IN" Clause in Open SQL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some doubts regarding Open SQL:

- Is there any support for Case Insensitive Search in Open SQL, is it availabe by default?

- Is there any restriction on number of elements in "IN" Clause, in Open SQL, is there any default number?

I have checked the [Open SQL Grammer |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce711/helpdata/en/9b/f46cabaa874bc9a82234e8cf1d0696/frameset.htm]also, but nothing found there.

Thanks,

Piyush

P.S I didn't find any other appropriate place to post this thread, let me know the correct categorization of Open SQL in case its wrong.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have some doubts regarding Open SQL:

I believe that you've questions and not doubts...

> - Is there any support for Case Insensitive Search in Open SQL, is it availabe by default?

Nope, there is nothing like that. By default all supported database use a bytewise equal operator - case insensitivness needs to be programmed by hand.

E.G. using UPPER(x)/LOWER(x) functions.

Be aware that this disables the possibilities of index usage.

> - Is there any restriction on number of elements in "IN" Clause, in Open SQL, is there any default number?

Yes, there is a restriction and it differes between the different DBMS.

Until recently you could have 2000 variables per statement with MaxDB.

The current versions of DBSL and MaxDB Kernel now support up to 10000 variables per statement.

Anyhow, in most cases, such a long in list can and should be avoided by using the FOR ALL ENTRIES construct. With this, the DBSL automatically splits the long IN list into smaller chunks and executes the statements several times.

This is invisible to the ABAP report - it just gets the result set as usual.

> P.S I didn't find any other appropriate place to post this thread, let me know the correct categorization of Open SQL in case its wrong.

I guess in anyone of the DB forums is Ok.

regards,

Lars

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  • No cross posting.

Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Regards

Juan