cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Disk Partition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone with any knowledge to extend a partition on a Windows system without damaging the system partition? I would like to know how people will go about doing it.

I have Win Server 2005 64 bit. System partion is on the C drive and a D partion, I like to extend the C partion. Would be interesting to know how other people will tackle this. Cheers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Be careful of using third party software such as "whatever" magic on windows server, it'll ruin your drive C (I've done this and sorry... ).

What I did was to full backup C & D using backup software such as Paragon backup to external drive, then restore it back. Whenever restoring the drive it'll asked you whether you want to change the partition size or no, then you can set how much gig you want to use or drive C.

hope it help you.

yayan.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks you all for your reply. Yes it is Win Server 2003...sorry. Was hoping there was an alternative to partition magic. However, the other suggestion doent work as the partition I want to extend is the System partition which the delivered diskpart.exe that come with the installation cannot do. According to the KB, if you are on win server 2008 you can.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer to following article.

[http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590]

Hope this helps.

Manoj Chintawar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

go to my computer--> manage --> disk management

here you will get disk0, disk1 check the type of disk, it should be basic or dynamic.

1) If it is basic then you will not be able to extend the disk partition online you need to convert it into dynamic.

Involve your h/w vendor for this converion.

2) if it is dynamic then you can easily extend the partition. right click on the partition you wish to extend.

provide the space in GB. It will extend the partition online.

Regards,

Sachin Rane.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Win server 2005 does not exist. Did you mean Win 2003 or 2008?

you can use 3rd party tools such as partition magic, but before doing so, take a good backup of your C drive. Partition magic may corrupt your C drive.