Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Copy from SQL2000(32bit) to SQL2005(64 bit) using transaction logs

paulo_sousa3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

I want to make a homogeneous system copy of my PRD R/3 4.7 Enterprise from a WIN2003 (32bit) MSCS Cluster and MSSQL2000 to a new hardware running WIN2003 (64bit) MSCS cluster and MSSQL2005.

As my company works 7X24, in order to minimize downtime, I plan to make an initial database copy using a PRD daily backup, tunne and check my system performance, and then some days later when I'm sure that everything is working fine, make another database copy using the MSSQL database tools. I plan to make final this copy using the following steps:

- initial restore of the source database backup in the new system, keeping the old system online.

- shut down source system.

- backup transaction logs.

- restore this transaction logs on the destination system.

- perform the pos-database copy actions, and go live with the new system.

This method allows me to copy my 500GB with a downtime of minutes.

- Is this a "SAP supported scenario" ?

- may I restore transaction logs of a MSSQL2000(32bit) DB on a SQL2005(64bit) SD Server?

I would like to have your opinion about this possible scenario. I tryed it on my "Quality System", and it seems to work fine, but there are a lot of migrations in this process, that I may be forgetting something:

- Upgrade WIN2003 from 32 to 64 bit

- Upgrade SQL from 2000 (32bit) to 2005(64bit)

- Upgrade R/3 kernel from 32 to 64 bit

Also this is a cluster...

Thank you by your feedback.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello my friend

Actually it's not fair to call it a homogeneous system copy, because it's not that smooth and will be quite complicated

The 64bit you mentioned, is it x64 or IA64? I had one similar about upgrading from 46D to 7.0, 32bit to x64 and SQL 2000 to 2005, so I assume this case is happening on x64. For that, you cannot directly restore a SQL 2000 32bit database to SQL 2005 x64, which is not supported for SAP system upgrade.

Generally, it should be divided into 4 steps:

1. Fresh install SQL 2000 32bit on Win2003 x64

2. Restore a database copy of your source system by detach/attach method

3. Upgrade SQL 2000 32bit to SQL 2005 32bit

4. Convert SQL 2005 32bit to x64 (for 7.0 it requires STM tool, 4.7 version I'm not sure)

Let me know whether this scenario matches your case and discuss more.

Thanks,

Effan

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

this is not correct. You can attach or restore a SQL 2000 Database or Backup onto a SQL 2005 Server. The database will be converted into the new format during the attach or restore. The only thing you have to keep in mind is, that the logfile should be big enough and is allowed to grow (in SQL 2000), because the conversion needs some log space and there is no way to increase the log, when you run into trouble.

So you have only three steps:

- install SQL 2005 64bit on Windows 64bit

- attach or restore the SQL 2000 database

- run the STM tools

Best regards

Clas Hortien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ohh... shocked to know. If I'm giving the wrong answer, very sorry. But is it ok to attach a SQL 2000 32bit DB onto SQL 2005 64bit directly?

Thanks for correcting, Clas

Effan

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, this is possible. The 32bit and 64bit version of a database of one SQL Server Release (2000, 2005 or 2008) are binary compatible, means you can attach a 32bit SQL 2005 database onto a 64bit SQL Server 2005 instance and vice versa . And as the SQL Server 2005 can convert any SQL 2000 databases it makes no difference where it comes from (32 or 64bit Source).

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your info, Clas. And how about collation type? Does it need to be converted from bin to bin2 before attaching to 2005 64bit? Or just attach a SQL 2000 32bin with bin collation directly?

Effan

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you have to convert the collation to BIN2 BEFORE you go to SQL 2005. If you miss this, you have to do a homogenous systemcopy with r3load to get the collation fixed. And this is something you might want to avoid.

Best regards

Clas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

paulo_sousa3
Explorer
0 Kudos

I already restore a SQL2000 on SQL2005 in my test system with no problem. I plan now to restore the database "leaving it offline but able to restore aditional transaction logs" and then restore aditional transaction logs, after shutting down the R3 server. Is this a problem?

Also I'm using MS DPM (Data protection manager) to protect my SQL2000 database. May I use DPM to restore this database on a SQL2005 target Server?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

BTW, I don't think you can upgrade Win2003 32bit directly to whichever 64bit version. You probably need a new installation of Win2003 x64 and migrate applications.

Effan