Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

DB Copy from SQL2000(32bit) to SQL2005(64 bit) using transaction logs

Good afternoon,

I want to make a homogeneous system copy of my PRD R/3 4.7 Enterprise from a WIN2003 (32bit) MSCS Cluster and MSSQL2000 to a new hardware running WIN2003 (64bit) MSCS cluster and MSSQL2005.

As my company works 7X24, in order to minimize downtime, I plan to make an initial database copy using a PRD daily backup, tunne and check my system performance, and then some days later when I'm sure that everything is working fine, make another database copy using the MSSQL database tools. I plan to make final this copy using the following steps:

- initial restore of the source database backup in the new system, keeping the old system online.

- shut down source system.

- backup transaction logs.

- restore this transaction logs on the destination system.

- perform the pos-database copy actions, and go live with the new system.

This method allows me to copy my 500GB with a downtime of minutes.

- Is this a "SAP supported scenario" ?

- may I restore transaction logs of a MSSQL2000(32bit) DB on a SQL2005(64bit) SD Server?

I would like to have your opinion about this possible scenario. I tryed it on my "Quality System", and it seems to work fine, but there are a lot of migrations in this process, that I may be forgetting something:

- Upgrade WIN2003 from 32 to 64 bit

- Upgrade SQL from 2000 (32bit) to 2005(64bit)

- Upgrade R/3 kernel from 32 to 64 bit

Also this is a cluster...

Thank you by your feedback.

replied

Hello,

this is not correct. You can attach or restore a SQL 2000 Database or Backup onto a SQL 2005 Server. The database will be converted into the new format during the attach or restore. The only thing you have to keep in mind is, that the logfile should be big enough and is allowed to grow (in SQL 2000), because the conversion needs some log space and there is no way to increase the log, when you run into trouble.

So you have only three steps:

- install SQL 2005 64bit on Windows 64bit

- attach or restore the SQL 2000 database

- run the STM tools

Best regards

Clas Hortien

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question