cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

log file size for GRC CC in file system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have setup GRC CC and has got it up and running fine. However, upon running the Risk Analysis/User Level (selected Permission level for Report type) under the Informer tab, I realised that it took a LONG time to run the background job on background mode. What concerns me most is not on the timing but the size of the log file that the background jobs creates when it runs the Risk Analysis. I found that my file system was very quickly filled up with the log files generated and each is around 550MB (I assume thats per users).

So is there anyone who shares the same experience as Í am and could provide me with some info pls?

Thanks.

Raymond

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

premb
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Raymond,

I can try to answer few..

1. For what kind of jobs spool files would be created ?

- adhoc risk analysis, some security reports in 5.3

2. How many spool files would be created for one background job? In our case, we have seen there are mulitple spool files (e.g for Job ID 51, there are 20 files with names like 51.d.0 to 51.d.19 each of around 350MB, and 2 files 51.s.0 , 51.s.1 of size around 200MB).

- based on number of violations

3. If you see the result of job (summary report or management report) number of records seems to be around 10,000 - andif you download this to excel sheet, its size would be just few KBs - but spool files size for this job is around 5GB.

- it shouldn't be, but not sure

4. We are using the same rule sets in two GRC systems for testing purpose but pointing to different backend systems -> ran similar job on both of these systems >> but spool file size created on both of these systems has a huge difference in size.

- based on number of violations

5. Please confirm the list of factors on which spool file size would be dependent, i mean number of users, roles assigned and violations, etc..

6. One more observation, in AC 5.2 SP10 when we delete the background job entry from Compliance Calibrator, relevant spool file automatically gets deleted from operating system but this is not the case with AC 5.3 SP6 (for AC 5.3 we have to delete the spool file manually from OS level).

Thanks

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raymond,

Even we are facing the same issue with spool file sizes for each background job. Please share if you got the solutionfor this.

Thanks

Davinder

former_member366047
Contributor
0 Kudos

Davinder-

Please refer to Note: 1129441 in reference to your log files.

Ankur

SAP GRC RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DP,

As mentioned and so far, most replys I got was to remidiate the SOD and via that, you can reduce the number of lines in the report. On top of that, as mentioned above, ask the DB team to help create a job to auto cleanup the older logs in the file server.

I have did a different Risk Analysis and if I only run those on country specific and not includes known user group who has SoD's (like IT users), then my file server is noly 20% fill. Thus, if we remediate, I'm sure the file size will be reduce greatly.

For now, thats what I'm trying out.

Good luck to you as well..finger cross.

Raymond

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ankur,

Thanks, but this note doesnt clarify what these spool files are, why they are created , why size is so big and so on.

Would highly appreciate if you can share some information/documentation on these spool file >>

1. For what kind of jobs spool files would be created ?

2. How many spool files would be created for one background job? In our case, we have seen there are mulitple spool files (e.g for Job ID 51, there are 20 files with names like 51.d.0 to 51.d.19 each of around 350MB, and 2 files 51.s.0 , 51.s.1 of size around 200MB).

3. If you see the result of job (summary report or management report) number of records seems to be around 10,000 - andif you download this to excel sheet, its size would be just few KBs - but spool files size for this job is around 5GB.

4. We are using the same rule sets in two GRC systems for testing purpose but pointing to different backend systems -> ran similar job on both of these systems >> but spool file size created on both of these systems has a huge difference in size.

5. Please confirm the list of factors on which spool file size would be dependent, i mean number of users, roles assigned and violations, etc..

6. One more observation, in AC 5.2 SP10 when we delete the background job entry from Compliance Calibrator, relevant spool file automatically gets deleted from operating system but this is not the case with AC 5.3 SP6 (for AC 5.3 we have to delete the spool file manually from OS level).

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks

Davinder

Hello GRC Experts,

Looking forward to hear answers based on your vast experience's.

Thanks

Davinder

Edited by: D P Singh on Mar 19, 2009 9:30 AM