Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Heirarchy security and structural authorzations in BI basically the same

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is hierarchy security and structural authorizations in BI basically the same? We use structural profiles in SAP R/3 and would like to utilize them in BI. Is it better/ easier to use Hierarchy security authorizations or Structural Authorizations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and recommendations.

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Penny,

No they are not quite the same, but the good news is there is a BI accelerator guide on how to pull structural authorisations from an HR system into a BI system, using standard BI tools.

This then generates the BI authorisations that will provide the same data restrictions you have in HR.

The key difference is in BI you can have a hierarchy against any characteristic, whilst in ECC the structural authorisations are working against the organisation structure (org. units, positions, employees etc).

I notice in another thread you've referenced this BI accelerator guide - if you've run through that and then looked at the BI auths it generates you should be able to see the differences.

Edited by: Chris Haigh on Mar 11, 2009 11:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification. I think that document I downloaded will prove beneficial.