cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASCS resource - cannot bring online

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are installing Win2K3 + SQL 2005 cluster for DB and CI servers.

Going step-by-step as per SAPinst document, we did below installation

- From first node, install ASCS on the shared drive

- From first node, configure the first node for MSCS

- From first node, install the Database Instance

- From second node, configure additional cluster node (This made the ASCS server resource move to the second node by itself without any errors)

- From second node, install Enqueue Replication Server.

After installing the ERS on the second node, the ASCS resource was not able to come online.

The ASCS group have following resources:

SAP PRD IP

SAP PRD NetName

SAP PRD Drive

SAP PRD SAPMNT

SAP PRD 00 Instance

SAP PRD 00 Service

All resource in the ASCS are online except these two

SAP PRD 00 Service - This resource is Failed.

The SAP PRD 00 service has a service in windows. This service is not starting from windows too. It gives an unexpected error. Moving the ASCS resource now to the first node also does not allow it to come online.

Since the problem started after installing the ERS, we uninstall the ERS from the second node and restart the server, but the ASCS service is not getting started.

Can someone have faced similar problem or can guide for any possible solutions ?

Thanks in advance,

Kalpesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

why you installed ASCS and SCS on different node.

As per guide it should be on one node

please explain your full plan.

Regards,

Nitin Salunkhe

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Kalpesh,

We have experienced an issue with some of our installs that the sapstartsrv.exe file is renamed to another extension (.new or .old, I do not remember). Look for something like that in the exe directory of the ASCS and SCS instances and rename it back to .exe. This might take care of the problem.

Brian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think there was some service rights issue with the sapprd_00. After giving local admin rights to the service, now i think 50 percent of the problem to start this service is solved.

When i start the service now, i get below error,

"An unhandled win32 exception occured in sapstartsrv.exe"

The issue is that "sapstartsrv.exe" service is not able to start from the ASCS global share.

Please guide,

Thanks,

Kalpesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Brian,

I have 3 files in the ASCS global directory.

sapstartsrv.exe

sapstartsrv.exe.new

sapstartsrv.exe.tmp

I renamed the existing file and change the sapstartsrv.exe.new to proper name, and it worked !!!

Thanks a million, Brian.

Kalpesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalpesh,

I am also havign the same problem.

I installed ASCS and SCS and CI in one node 1 and Dialog instance in another node2.

Installation finished sucessfully .While changingthe groups fron nod1 to node2 the

ACS and SCS services failed . I am not able to bring this online. Can Y ou please guide me how you resolved this probelm. I checkd the sapstartsrv.exe.new, sapstartsrv.pdb,sapstartsrv.exe

these are exists. Can You tell me how to rename this.

Regards

Rao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rao,

Just rename the existing file "sapstartsrv.exe" to something like "sapstartsrv.exe.old".

Then rename the other file "sapstartsrv.exe.new" to "sapstartsrv.exe"

Then try to bring the resource online.

Also to note, i also had problem with rights. Check the Log On option in that service and see, who has rights to start the service. If that user is a domain user account, then make sure it have admin rights locally.

Hope this helps.

Kalpesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalpesh,

Thanks for reply .I did the same thing wat you have given.But still i am not able to bring it online.Still it is showing in failed. I installed as a Adminitrator.In SAPMMC these two nodes(ASCS and SCS) is not visible. Only I am able to see ERS10 and ERS11 and Central instance only.

Regards

Rao.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have followed the sap guide during installation, there should not be any problem.

I had to some problems with creating user accounts in the domain. It is created by SAP tool during the Additional MSCS Node configuration.

If it is still permission issue, you can check as below

"SAPOsCol" service should be stating with domain account. e.g. mydomain/instanceadm. Here if you instance name is prd and domain is dom then it should Log On As - dom/prdadm, where prdadm is a domain user account. But this account should also be in the local administrators group of that server.

Same goes with "SAPPRD_00" service. It should run with domain user like SAPServicePRD and that it should be member of local administrators group in that server.

Hope that helps

Kalpesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rao,

Are you able to bring the sap resource in the cluster online now ?

As i notice in my servers, that everything is fine unless i switch the sap cluster group to the other node. At this time the resource fails to come online.

When i copy the "sapstartsrv.exe" file from a backup copy (which i have kept in my desktop previously) to the sap cluster group share and then try to bring it online, it works fine.

This happens everytime i move the sap cluster resource from one node to other.

Please update.

Thanks,

Kalpesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hai

Kalpeash I also did the same thing present it working. But I also not solved the problem completly.

If u find the solution please update me also. I did't find any solution for this. some times it is working fine if we do manually move the groups from node1 to node2 suddenly these services are failing agin.

Regards

Rao