Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Create New Transaction Check Box in BPM

jegathees_waran
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I have ticked the check box 'Create New Transaction' for every step in BPM. In Block I have mentioned 'Block Start' & 'Block End' property as 'New Transaction'.

I have gone through SAP Help Transactional Behaviour of BPM. Somewhere it is mentioned by check this to increase system performance, database hit time will be reduced. Somewhere 'No New Transaction' is recommened.

I am confusing on this.

Could you kindly help me to understand this clearly ? (Like, what is the advantage of 'Create new Transaction'?, If untick what will happen ? ...)

Kind regards,

Jegathees P.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jegathees_waran
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Now, I understand the use of 'Create New Transaction'. Thanks to all.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Create New Transaction has the only advantage that it enhances the monitoring capability of any particular step in BPM. The associated disadvantage is that it hampers the performance as a new transaction is created which utilizes resource and therefore not recommended to be used in Productive environment. Use it only if you want additional monitoring capabilities.

Regards,

Prateek

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This Blog [Transactional Behavior in BPM|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/10228] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; will explain the diff.

Thanks,

SaNv...

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it depends on how you decide to use the property.

in help it mentions;

Transactional Behavior for Specific Step Types

At runtime, the system normally creates a separate transaction for each step. The transaction then covers this step only. However, you can influence the transactional behavior of particular step types. In the step properties, you can define that the system is not to start a new transaction when the step is executed. The system then executes the step in the transaction that was started at the time of execution. Consequently, no background work item is created for the step and the database does not need to be accessed. In this way you can improve system performance.

by defining to not use a new transaction at the right place you can improve performance.

It also depends on step types. For example in case of a sync send this is what help says;

No New Transaction: You can expect better system performance if the system does not create a new transaction for the send step. However, only select this setting if by repeating the send step the result is not changed (idempotency). This is the case, for example, with lookup operations.

Note

If you have selected this setting and an error occurs, synchronous sending can also cause problems in the pipeline and the receiver system following the rollback. Messages with an error status can also remain in the pipeline.

New Transaction: If the result is changed when the step is repeated, choose Create New Transaction. Otherwise the following error situation can occur: The system successfully executes a synchronous send step but an error occurs in the subsequent step. The system rolls back processing and executes all steps in the transaction - including the send step - again. If the send step results in a write-to operation in the receiver system, for example, creating a purchase order, this is also repeated. This can result in semantic errors.

Mainly transaction processing helps to have a roll back implemented.