SAP for Oil, Gas, and Energy Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and navigate the evolving energy landscape. Join the conversation today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD and IS-OIL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Does SAP IS-OIL takes care of the Sales part as well or SD module also is required to handle the sales part of the Oil and Gas Refinery?Can somebody pl provide me the inputs for understanding the process/flow on IS-OIL?

Thanks

Isaac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Isaac,

IS Oil helps provide the oil industry specific functionalities to otherwise normal business processes. The SD part of SAP helps provide the basic functionalities for standard sales processes where industry uniqueness does not come in. For example:

1. in the case of oil, we might account and sell product in Litres @ natural or ambient temperature and / or in Litres @ 15 Deg Celsius or 60 Degree F. This is not the case with most other products.

2. we might wish to price the product based on price feeds of Platts or OPIS or Reuters or other. There has to be provision to get these feeds and help price the product accounting for holidays, pricing terms and conditions, special formulas etc. We also need the flexibility to use non formula pricing. IS Oil provides the leverage for formula based pricing and standard SD, the standard pricing tools.

3. movement of product in the oil industry is through pipelines, tankers, rail or road or barges - some very unique to the industry; compartments, planning, bay allocation, storage tank allocation etc. IS Oil helps us define different transportation methods, their capacity, licenses, dimensions, multiple drops etc.

4. taxes and licenses for an oil industry are unique

What IS oil helps to do is integrate these unique industry requirements to the standard sales process. IS Oil has no transaction processing capabilities of its own. It adds the much needed oil industry unique requirements to the sales and mm processes.

Hope this helps.

Kannan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

yes we need to SD Module to fulfill the sales part of the Oil and Gas Refinery.The process flow would be categoried in to different processes

Marine Sales

Aviation Sales.

Retail Sales (Service Station Retailing ) COCO, CODO Etc

Fuel Network Services

Marketing Divisions, Oil depot and Refineries

Best Regards

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Isaac,

IS Oil helps provide the oil industry specific functionalities to otherwise normal business processes. The SD part of SAP helps provide the basic functionalities for standard sales processes where industry uniqueness does not come in. For example:

1. in the case of oil, we might account and sell product in Litres @ natural or ambient temperature and / or in Litres @ 15 Deg Celsius or 60 Degree F. This is not the case with most other products.

2. we might wish to price the product based on price feeds of Platts or OPIS or Reuters or other. There has to be provision to get these feeds and help price the product accounting for holidays, pricing terms and conditions, special formulas etc. We also need the flexibility to use non formula pricing. IS Oil provides the leverage for formula based pricing and standard SD, the standard pricing tools.

3. movement of product in the oil industry is through pipelines, tankers, rail or road or barges - some very unique to the industry; compartments, planning, bay allocation, storage tank allocation etc. IS Oil helps us define different transportation methods, their capacity, licenses, dimensions, multiple drops etc.

4. taxes and licenses for an oil industry are unique

What IS oil helps to do is integrate these unique industry requirements to the standard sales process. IS Oil has no transaction processing capabilities of its own. It adds the much needed oil industry unique requirements to the sales and mm processes.

Hope this helps.

Kannan

0 Kudos

Thanks for your valuable inputs.Can you pl provide me the IS-OIL config documents which will help me to take my first step into the IS-OIL process' and let me know the process flow.

Regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos

Hi friend,

in which site, I get the ASAP methodology documents.

0 Kudos

Hi Issac,

There are many modules in IS-Oil, so it is difficult to say without understanding what you are trying to do...

At a very high level, the Oil processes can be divided into Upstream and Downstream, which basically refers to where you are in the distribution chain in the oil industry.

Upstream primarily refers to the processes which are used in the production of crude oil/gas at the oil wells. Downstream refers to the transportation to the refinery and subsequent processes.

Each of Upstream and Downstream has many modules....

I suggest you take a look at SAP help under the following link to get an idea:

Link: [http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/en/6c/bfa73ad9ccf101e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm]

-Shashi