cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 (64 bit ) or Vista Ultimate (64 bit) Install fails -

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

Any chance of the ABAP sneak preview working on a 64 bit OS (Vista or preferably Windows 7 -- much less resource hungry - system).

I'm running Windows 7 X-64 build 7048.winmain.090219-1845 -- it's 95% at Release Candidate level and works really fast. Runs absolute RINGS around my old Vista ultimate system.

Most decent laptops these days have 4GB RAM and are dual processors 64 bit capable.

I'm still having to run the sneak preview on an XP PRO Virtual machine -- would really like to run in on Native hardware however.

The first fail occurs when trying to install the MMC snap in console -- since this is the ist task it wasn't worth going any further.

I hope SAP gets a Windows 7 version available soon -- Windows 7 is SO much better than VISTA even with SP1 applied I'm sure lots of companies will skip the whole VISTA thing and go straight to W7 anyway.

Cheers

jimbo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I noticed there is a new netweaver version SP1. The previous version did not install on my Vista 64 bit machine. I read you had the same problems. Does the new SP1 version install now on a 64 bits machine or should I not bother?

Grteing Erik Groothof,

(Remember me, Erik from Loders Croklaan? )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi erik

How are you --- Holland look good for W.K so far ,

Trial version still won't install on 64 bit versions of Windows -- either Dual Boot (or better run 32 Bit OS as a Virtual Machine) -- good thing about Vm Machine is that it's easy to get rid of if stuff screws up registry etc etc. Doesn't mess up your system.

Latest trial works fine on a 1GB VM XP Pro system. You'll get message at startup Service XXX not found --just ignore doesn't make any difference to start up and application.

BW/BI base also included (logon to client 001. You need however to define your own data sources).

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by: james hawthorne on Apr 11, 2009 11:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again James.

I downloaded and installed the SP3 version on Vista 32 as your previous post and others have said that it won't work on Vista 64 or Windows 7 64.

BUT I was just looking at the install files and I found a sub directory called "Additional_Tools" which contains a directory called "sapmmcx64u". This appears to contain the required 64bit sapmmc.

I haven't tried it yet as I would need to redo my whole system and I have a deadline for May that takes preference. After that I will try it. If you do try it before then please report back as to if it worked or not.

Regards.

Dave

TomekP
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, I have noticed the same , that there is 64 bit SAP MMC present in the installation folders of recent SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 ABAP Trial Version. Moreover , there is also the 64 bit MAXDB provided.

But so what, the installer does not take them into processing. I used the correct version of Java 1.4.2_23 .

Installing in the Vista 64 bit Vista Business , I faced several problems with that , few of which I overcome , but still not successful. First problem was in step 2 , when installing the SAP MMC. 1063 - fatal error, wrong system version.

I tried the 64bit binaries out. I manipulated on the control.xml file, changing the name of the file from sapmmcX86u.msi to sapmmcX64u.msi. It helped, I passed the step . The SAP MMC installed succesfuly in 64 bit version.

It looks like the routine SystemMgt().getSystemInfo().getMakePlatform() of the java installer gives out the wrong name of the platform. Should return 'ntamd64' instead of 'ntintel'.

The installation failed than on the step - creating database. Same problem, there is the wrong MAXDB folder chosen. I swapped the names of the folders, changed the label.asc file , and - success again , the database installed in 64 bit version without a problem.

So, where's the problem ? It failed at the step : create databes instance. There is some parameter missing. The scripts are simply not capable of doing the installation right in AMD64 platform.

I also doubt if this process can be accomplished without the SAP kernel in 64 bit version , that I do not see in the package.

There is only the SAP_Kernel_701SR1_for_x386 folder containing that.

Can someone help me ? Will it run on Vista 64 ?

Do we have to wait for SAP to release a proper version of SAP Kernel ? If yes, than why there are some 64 bit binaries already provided in the installation package. Only this keeps me in the hope.

I noticed simillar questions raised in few other topics , without an answer though.

Tomek.