cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataArchiving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using sap from 2005,we want to archive the data upto april2008.whats the proceddure for to do dataarchiving as a basis person how i have to proceed,this is first iam working on this dataarchiving.plz guide me for the same for how to do.

Thanku

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data Archiving u2013 Features

It provides a protection layer to the SAP database and resolves underperformance problems caused by huge volumes of data. It is important that SAP users should keep only minimal data to efficiently work with database and servers. Data archiving ensures that the SAP database contains only relevant and up-to-date data that meet your requirements.

Data archiving uses hardware components such as hard disks and memory. For efficient data archiving, minimum number of disks and disk space should be used.

It also reduces the system maintenance costs associated with the SAP database. In the SAP database there are various procedures such as, data backup, data recovery, and data upgrade.

SAP data archiving complies with statutory data retention rules that are common and well-proven techniques.

Have a look on Support Tools - SARA, DART and SARI for your reference.

Use the below links ..... for the resolution

[Click on this for more information |http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/bd/6b9b3c874da309e10000000a114027/frameset.htm]

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/ea/e9b1c44c7211d189520000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

thespot4sap.com/articles/SAP_Data_Archiving_Support_Tools.asp

With Regards,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi murali,

Thanku,how i have to proceed the data archiving by step by step.

Thanku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>how i have to proceed the data archiving by step by step.

There is no step by step procedure because each archiving project is specific to each SAP system.

You have to deecide which archiving objects to use

There are a lot of functionnal decisions to be made... retention periods for each archiving object ?

Need to access to archived data ? for how long ? and so on,...

Regards,

Olivier

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As said by Olivier, Archiving is not a procedure is a "Project".

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to archive object SD_VBRK ( Billing Documents) upto july2007.guide me for the same for how to proceed.

Thanku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>guide me for the same for how to proceed.

Get a functional consultant with you. Speak to the users, get their retention needs.

Read the documentation. Test on a sand box system (copy of the production system).

Customize your archiving object.

Learn how to use transaction SARA

In a word, do as usual for every SAP project : Think a lot before doing !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Iam doing data archving for PS_PLAN Archiving object for testing ,when i did write settings on SARA,one file was created in my archving directory(i.e.i gave in physicalpath) usr/sap/DEV/SYS/global/RPS02080.022215.basis.after that i want to store these files and delete from database.and one more doubt where i have to set the dates of archiving data upto april2008 for this archving object.guide me for the same first time iam working on archiving project.iwant to do same for MM,SD,FI.

Thanku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any suggestions plz.

Thanku

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not the task of a basis admin, the dates are set by using variants by the funtional consultant.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with PS_PLAN, but have done well with PP, CO, FI, SD, WM and MM archive.

Archive process in general is splitted into three process :

- write, where you write (WRI) transaction live data into compressed archive file using SARA. archive file itself is defined in transaction FILE

- after the WRI process is complete (in SM37), and physical file is created on OS level, you can continue to delete from live data. To do this, you just execute SARA and choose delete (DEL). on the next screen you should be found WRI job that have done previously. From that point, you just choose what session to be deleted, and then DEL process will delete the data that have been written to archive file on chosen WRI session.

- the last job is asking your ABAP to create program to read data from archive file (eg using ADK). Although not all data is need to be read again (eg. Transfer Order from WM-RL_TA) but some other data is still needed even though they have been archived (eg. MM-MM_EKKO)

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfonsus,

In SARA After write process is completed file was created on os level like this:RPS02080.022215.basis after that i executed delete on SARA.After that in ManagementTab it showing deletion completed with green symbol.what are my doubts are these delete means permenantly deleted from database or where i have to set the between the dates for deletion(march2007 to april2008),this created os level file is enough,how to store archive files.iam lot of confusing on this.guide me for the same.

Thanku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

after you are successfully performing deletion on DEL process it will permanently delete documents/ data from your database. what (session) you delete is what (session) you have previously write on WRI process, so it will help you to prevent delete un-written (to archive file) data.

so can you elaborate, when you are doing WRI jobs, what parameters of PS_PLAN you have entered ? by documents, or by date ?

let see simple example from my pint of view :

say I want to archive Purchase Order (PO), on write process I can do in two different ways :

- example 1 : entering several PO Number into PO Number field (that means only mentioned PO number will be archived)

- OR ecample 2 : entering certain period, say January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008 (that means all PO between this period will be deleted, no need to mention PO Number here)

and the result if I have done until DEL process is :

- example 1 : only mentioned PO number will be archived and deleted from database

- example 2 : all PO from January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008 will be archived and deleted from database

where archive file should be stored on OS level is defined by transaction FILE, highlight on ARCHIVE_GLOBAL_PATH and choose assignment of physical path to logical path on he left side, then choose setting suits your OS (UNix, Windows or AIX)

archive file format can be determined by means of FILE too, highlight on : logical file name definition, and click on archive data file. say if you want your archive file clearly describe archive objects, date, time it can be done too.

note that you will able to see your database size decreased significantly after you are performing database (table) reorganization. we have done it on our Oracle 9 using 3rd party software to reorganization.

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfonsus,

Thanku fur inputs,one more thing In SARA After write process is completed file was created on os level like this:RPS02080.022215.basis after that i executed delete on SARA.After that in ManagementTab it showing deletion completed with green symbol.what my confusing i want these deleted in future how to restore it.

Thanku

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whats the error on the logs?.... not enough info.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not recommended to restore archived data back into SAP production (live).

I can't explain you how the way to do it, first because I haven't done with that and the second is because this mechanism (restore archived data) is not the purpose of SAP archive process itself.

one thing you should mention is you have to make sure with your functional that archived data should be a complete (closed) data. so you have take a deeper look at the data before you are performing archive process.

if your concern is how to read archived (and deleted) data, so you may ask your ABAP to create Z program to read data from archive. Our ABAP have done it well and no issue for enduser. Some standard SAP tcodes also provide an option to choose which data you choose : production (live) data, archived data or both data (archived and live data)... but not all SAP standard provide it.

hope it help you.

rgds,

Alfonsus Guritno

Answers (0)