Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Win2K3 Cluster - DB and CI

Hello,

We want to cluster SAP ECC 6.0 for the Database Instance and Central Instance servers on Windows Server 2003 running SQL 2005.

On following the SAPinst guide, it is mentioned that only only ABAP Central Services Instance and Database Instance should be configured as failover in MSCS cluster. Central Instance and Dialog Instance should be installed on any single node on the local disk or outside the MSCS node.

I have doubt about this. If i install CI on any one cluster node locally, what would happen if this server fails ? I want to install the Central Instance as failover too.

Please guide.

Thanks in advance.

Kalpesh.

Former Member
replied

To be even more clear...

What we do is to have 4 different "nodes". These are completely seperate hardware/OS systems.

2 of these nodes are for the database and ASCS/SCS and they are part of a MSCS. Usually one is the primary for the database and the other the primary for ASCS/SCS just to spread the workload around

1 of these nodes is for the "central instance"

1 of these nodes is for the "additional dialog instance"

While the "central instance" and "additional dialog instance" could be installed on the nodes running MSCS, we have chosen not to do this. If that is something you are exploring, you would need to install the "central instance" on one MSCS member and the "additional dialog instance" on the other so that you always have a database, ASCS/SCS, and a dialog server available in a failover situation. I would not recommend doing so for production.

Brian

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question