cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Groups - Where Used?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I currently have the standard generated 'parallel_generators' RFC Groups in my system but also have 2 others, for which I do not know why they were created or what uses them.

I have used RPR_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN to try and find any hard coded usage with no results found and also struggled to 'decode' the variants tables VARI etc to find usage in Variants.

But what I actually want is a 'Where Used' for RFC Groups.

Does anyone know a comprehensive solution to this or alternative analysis method?

Thanks and Regards

Ash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find more information in addition to earlier posts.

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c4/3a7f39505211d189550000e829fbbd/content.htm]

Hope this helps.

Manoj Chintawar

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Manoj, Is that not the exact same link that i posted?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I completely understand the RFC groups and use of them in Jobs.

What I am getting at is there is no easy way to identify the usage of them, whether it be directly in ABAP or by Job etc.

The jobs which you refer to Juan must have Variants which will be stored in VARI and other related tables, but unfortunately they are encoded with magical ABAP and can only be undone using a Functional Module.

This is why I am really after a 'Where Used' for RFC Groups or alternative comprehensive method of gaining this information as going through each job, step and variant in a Productive System is far too tedious to be pragmatic.

Regards

Ashley

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not that i know... hope someone else can answer your question.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks anyway Juan, anyone else?

Ash

allaine_tabilin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ash,

Same with the "Where used list" (I mean, it will be tedious to go to each program and identify).

Basically, the logon group info is stored on the RZLLITAB table. What distinguishes it if it's a dialog or an RFC type is the field group type (that is, if it's 'S' then it's an RFC group). There are several function modules and programs that uses this info. One of the common ones that SAP is using is the function module SMLG_GET_DEFINED_GROUPS (or SPBT_INITIALIZE). This function module determine if it's an RFC or dialog. As you've might have seen, there are several functions / programs that uses this (and they use the info returned by this function module to load balance either dialog and RFC processes).

Basically, to somewhat answer your query: There's no absolute "Where used list" since a developer can hardcode the query to the database for this table (and not have it part of the variants or other tables). Looking particularly for the server groupname (that shows up on the RZ12 transaction) on the ABAP codes is tedious. Not to mention the fact that a developer can also hardcode the server groupname on an external program that does an RFC (thus you will not see this in the SAP/ABAP system even if it has the "Where used list").

Thanks,

Allaine

Edited by: Allaine Tabilin on Mar 6, 2009 8:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allaine,

I don't think you have understood my issue. The table you are talking about holds the info on the RFC Group or Logon Group as you explained, however it is not this information which i want to know about.

RFC Groups are defined for use by Jobs/ABAPS to submit asynchronous RFC calls with a parameter as the RFC Group Name to limit the usage to the instance you specify in the RFC Group itself.

But because any ABAP can hard code or utilise a screen variant etc to hold the RFC Group Name, it becomes difficult to know what is using these groups unless you have it fully documented during implementation.

I have used the program 'RS_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN' to search all ABAP source code on my system for hard coding of the RFC Groups in question but with no result. I can therefore only assume that they are either used in a Variant/Screen Field or not used at all.

But finding out this information is the very difficult part beacuse I either need to check every job and Variant or use the Variant table to search. Then I found that the Variant Table VARI is encoded and unreadable without using a FM, this is where I am now stuck.

Ash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone any comments/inputs before I close this unresolved?

Ashley

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing with no resolution.

Ash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashley,

RFC groups are used to distribute the load of "parallel-processed" jobs.

Basically if you can find the jobs that run in your system that use this jobs you'll have a hit.

Read,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c4/3a7f39505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Regards

Juan