cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to insure transaction of database is full !!!!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to know ,when I create a record with lookup field in main table ,I must to creat lookup table's record first then create the record for main table .so the question is how i can ensure the transaction of database is atomic ,for example :create lookup table's record is successfully but create the record main table's is failed,so the record in lookup table is garbage . how can i avert this !

thank you very much! i am very anxious!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi xuhuanjun ,

A lookup table stores legal set of values similar to a check table in ECC.The lookup table values are not specific to any particular main table records but rather can be used by any or all main table record.

So a lookup table value will become garbage when there is not a single main table record accessing it.But this will not be the case as a lookup table values are created keeping in mind that there will be atleast one main table record using it.

The order to load lookup data and main data into MDM repository is such that,while creating you need to create the lookup data before the main data as the main table record will only then be able to use that lookup value.

Simillarly when deleting data from MDM rep you need to delate the main table record first only then you will able to free the lookup table records.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks to everyone! but today we have a requirment that need to create data in a lookup table model, for example a qualified table but the data need to update very often and the data excessive many in this lookup table.

have any other senaro scenarios?

Edited by: xuhuanjun on Mar 6, 2009 11:06 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi xuhuanjun ,

Modelling of data is a very important concpet especially if you are dealing with master data.

SAP recomments that you have most of your fields in the main table as compared to the fields in the lookups.

At the same time you need to ensure that the main table fileds do not exceed more than 100.As this will then affect the performance of the system.

Qualified table stores records in a one to many cardinality.

You can have a qualfied table records getting updated regularly as per your business requirement wherein you have option in MDM either to update the records or repalce them or create them.

However you firstly need to be very sure of your requirement and the supporting design.

KIndly go through the below links to understand how to model your data better in MDM:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80fc0a2e-6561-2910-839e-8ff3e36d... (data modelling)

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/eb7447b1-0c01-0010-8d90-a2e004ca... (data modelling)

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0d8aa53-b11d-2a10-aca2-ff2bd42a... (data modelling)

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Xuhaunjun,

Lookup tables in MDM are set of valid or standard values which that particular field can take.

When you create a main table record,you can populate the lookup table from that set of standard values only.This to standardise the whole process.

As you rightly said,we must have lookup data populated first before we can go ahead with main table data population.Now when you create a main table record ,its quiet possible few lookup values are never used.This doesnt make them invalid.So records in lookup table are not dependent on individual main table record having them or not,its set of standard values.

Regards,

Ravi Verma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do not create lookup table record for a particular main table record, if this is the case then instead of lookup table you should create a field directly. In broader sense lookup table data is independent of main table records e.g. Countries can be a lookup which facilitates the entry in Address field of main table so even if main table record linked with a particular country was not saved, it doesn't mean that country value is invalid.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja