cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The user function manager DLL (ufmanager.dll) could not be found.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just spent two horrible days getting a Windows 2003 server to run our .net 2008 asp Crystal report. It was all because of the unknown.rpt error. The final answer was to give the NETWORK SERVICE account full control to the C:\ and then remove that permission.

Now, I'm up to my next challenge:

Error in File C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\CrystalReport {2A76C903-674A-4A7B-AA04-44FC7E206C3F}.rpt:

The user function manager DLL (ufmanager.dll) could not be found.

That dll is there on the server. What should I do?

Please help!!!!

Thanks,

Ed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sometimes installing and deinstalling the application or visual studio

some registry entries for Crystal Reports were deleted.

So after making the registry entry for the directory path of ufmanager.dll everything will work fine again.

Open the registry with "regedit".

The look for directory

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\

SOFTWARE\

Crystal Decisions\

10.0\

Crystal Reports

Here you make the entry for "CommonFiles".

The value to be set here is the directory path of the ufmanager.dll file.

For example

C:\Programs\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The registry entry is correct. Do you have any idea where this error could be coming from?

Thanks, Ed

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think we want to back up a bit.

It is not clear what version of CR you are using. So, what is the version of any CR assembly referenced in your project?

If you are using the bundled version of CR, the assembly should be of version 10.5.3700. If that is the case, the runtime should be installed to c:\program files\business objects\common\2.8\bin. Look into this directory to see if the ufmanager.dll is there. If not; how was the CR runtime installed? What files did you use to install?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. My version is correct and they are in c:\program files\business objects\common\2.8\bin. I was just answering that the registry keys are correct for the version I am using. I used the latest runtime.msi on the sap downloads page referenced by you in the pdf about the unknown.rpt. I feel like I know you after going through that pdf 2 dozen times. The ufmanager.dll is there.

I also registered the crqe.dll which I found as an option in the support files. That didn't seem to help either.

Thanks for helping,

Ed

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, here is where the fun begins as the issue you are getting is not something I've run into before. A few clarifications and suggestions re. troubleshooting.

I used the latest runtime.msi

- confirm this was CRRedist2008_x86.msi (just want to be sure)

pdf about the unknown.rpt.

- do you have a link or name of the pdf?

To troubleshoot let's do this:

1) Download the depends utility. I want to see if there is a missing dependency. depends is here:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

open the ufmanager.dll in depends and see what it reports.

2) Run Process Monitor utility. ProcMon can be downloaded from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Make sure you filter ProcMon for your process as this will shrink the log file. Then look for ufmanager.dll and see where the app is trying to load it from.

3) Check this registry entry:

HKLM\software\business objects\10.5\crystal reports

See that CommonFiles is pointing to c:\program files\business objects\common\2.8\bin.

4) Copy the ufmanager.dll from c:\program files\business objects\common\2.8\bin to your app directory (this is just a test as I want to see if we can load the dll from anywhere...)

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, that was the runtime i was using.

Here's the link for your pdf. Beautiful document!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sdn.sap.com%2Firj%2Fsdn%...

dependency walker shows

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.

MSJAVA.DLL the system cannot find the file specified

I'm still working on your list,

Thanks, Ed

Former Member
0 Kudos

The process monitor is giving an error on my server: unable to load process monitor device driver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Registry setting is good.

I copied the ufmanager.dll to app directory and it didn't help.

Do I need the msjava.dll?

Thanks, Ed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just went through the forum at sysinternals and they say that processmon cannot be run on a virtual dedicated server like I am using by godaddy. I didn't mention that this was a virtual server, I hope that didn't matter.

Thanks, Ed

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm quite sure that neither msjava.dll, nor virtual server is the issue here.

Just backing up a bit.

Giving Network_Service full control on the Root is a bit extreme, so as a good permissions test for loading the UFL, try running IIS under the Local System account rather than Network Service. If itu2019s a registry permissions issue, this should get past it.

If Local System does not help, try a quick and dirty Win app on the same machine using the same report that causes the error.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I actually have the IIS_WPG on the temp folder with full control now. But, the first time I did that, it didn't help. The only time thing that helped was to give the network service, but then I was able to remove the network service permission and it still worked. This behavior was documented by someone online. Here's the link:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1010099.aspx

In the meantime, I bought a single case support and the guy was just on with me for an hour and did create a simple report project and ran it from the server and got the same error. He has now gone to figure it out. I referred him to what's going on here as well. I have this suspicion that it has something to do with the virtual server software, but I don't know how to prove it. There is one documented case of this at:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/313344/crystal-reports-for-vs-2008-the-user-function-manager-dll-...

But, they gave up and went back to VS 2005 to fix it.

Thanks again,

Ed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just figured it out. I gave IIS_WPG permission to the c:\program files\business objects\common\2.8\bin folder and it worked. If you want to have some fun figuring this out, it continued to work after I removed the IIS_WPG permission, just like the NETWORK SERVICE permission took care of the unknown.rpt issue even after it was removed. What's really crazy is that the NETWORK SERVICE one didn't take care of this current issue even when it was present in the permissions list.

Thanks, Ed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Just wanted to update that after taking off the IIS_WPG full control permission, it started giving the error again a few hours later. Put it back and it works fine.

Thanks, Ed

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As much as I don't want to admit it, it is starting to sound like an issue related to virtual server. I'm not sure why it would work for a while and then you have to fool around with permissions again. I'll ask a couple of other people to have look and see if they have any ideas.

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is a possible explanation for the behavior you're seeing:

"Sounds exactly like a permissions issue. He adds full control to IIS_wpg, it loads the runtime, he then removes full control and it keeps working. A few hours later, IIS runs the garbage collector, unloads the dll and it stops working again. "

Running IIS under "Local System" should work. If this is unacceptable, the only option is to find a utility similar to ProcMon that will work on a virtual server, to see what is being denied access.

Alternatively, you can blow everything open, directories, files, registry and then start shutting these down, one at a time to find out what needs the permissions... (eek).

Ludek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Dear i want to help i'm using godaddy Deluxe Web Hosting Windows hosting plan and VS 2008 and XP Pro and .Net 3.5 framework i want to use crystal report in my asp.net website but i have seen this error.

Line 1:  <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="report.aspx.cs" Inherits="report" %>
Line 3:  <%@ Register Assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304" 
Line 4:      Namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" TagPrefix="CR" %>

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

any one help and resolve this problem for me it's urgent...?plzzzz

or tell how to instal CRRedist2008_x86.msi on godaddy server instalation istructions step ny step coz i'm new...

thnx alot in advance....

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Saeed

You need the CR 10.5 runtime on that server. You have the correct file (CRRedist2008_x86.msi). Now that hard part is getting the runtime on godaddy. E.g.;

or tell how to instal CRRedist2008_x86.msi on godaddy server instalation istructions step ny step coz i'm new...

Unfortunately, that is not up to us. On a server you have control over, you simply double click on the msi and that is it (with possibly a minor and well documented modification to the viewer folders). As godaddy is beyond your control, you have to as godaddy to do the install for you. If they won/t do that for you, they are not the provider for you.

BTW.; this may have been better posted as a new Discussion rather than adding to a 4 year old thread - no big deal, just sayin...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces