cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adaptive rfc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to check if I understand it correctly.

I have only read documentation, not yet done any experiments.

Currently I am trying to make a connection between my external app and R/3 by defining integration scenarios in XI.

But, if I make a whole new program using Dynpro and adaptive RFC I should be able to call the bapi's directly in R/3. Am I right?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

You can call a Bapi directly from webdynpro using SAP Java Connector API's in the implementation of the Webdynpro application.

You can refer to the sample programs for JCO at http://service.sap.com/connectors and download the latest version of SAP JCo in that install those files as per the installation document in the downloaded zip. The downloaded zip contains information about JCo APIs and sample programs.

To access service.sap u need a S-user id n pswd.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

There are tutorials on sdn which explains how to use adaptive RFCs and using adaptiveRFC model does not require any JCo programming.

I am not quite sure why Pooja want to go low level programming (SAP Jco programming), as the Web Dynpro model(adaptive RFC) at high level takes care of everything.

Regards,

Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raju,

I agree. Why to program low-level if there is an easy way to go.

But I am still deciding which approach I will choose to integrate our software with SAP.

I have downloaded and installed the free version of the Netweaver DevStudio. With the help of the tutorial I can learn myself how to program using Dynpro, no problem. But I have (still) no access to the MarketPlace to download the Connectors (I presume that adaptive rfc is also downloadable there). I have to buy the Developer Package first.

The other approach, I am still experimenting with that, is building the integration scenario's in XI. (I have access to the test systems at ICC)

I have to weigh these approaches against each other.

As a programmer I am feeling a preference for the programatic way. It can be combined with a redesign to bring the software up2date. The current version is done in .Net, but I have no problem with new development using J2EE.

About the XI approach: isn't it true that I limit the market by that approach? Or does most SAP customers have an XI server?

Well, a long message... come on with all your thoughts!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

You do not need any adapters to run your Web Dynpro and it depends on J2EE engine and its patch level. If you are looking to experiement, then you can download 90day evaluation version from sdn downloads area (you need Java version) and it contains everything you need to run your WD application.

If your cuurent application is in .net, then there is a free download again in sdn which allows to integrate with SAP applications. I am not .net guy so I never experimented with it. But if it solves your problem, then you may not need a WD application.

I am not yet into XI, however, what I heard is very expensive piece in Netweaver. Not many customers have XI servers although recently I saw SAP Partners pushing XI as common server for all their new implementations atleast in UK. The use of XI server needs to be fully justified for the cost and maintainance of it. I think in this scenario, you use proxies to talk to BAPIs.

If you are looking for a simple Java solution, then you can go with JCo option. The jar file might already been in the plugin folder of NW studio.

Apartfrom that, XI WAS should already have WD runtime, so you should be able to run WD applications( not recommended in practical purposes I think).

Awaiting others comments on it.

Regards,

Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

>then you can download 90day evaluation version from sdn downloads area<

Already done, a few weeks ago

>If your cuurent application is in .net, then there is a free download again in sdn which allows to integrate with SAP applications<

I am afraid that is not the case. I have no access to the marketplace. See this document

<a href="http://www.janjoker.nl/docs/SAP_%20Developer_Package_Nov_2005.pdf">http://www.janjoker.nl/docs/SAP_%20Developer_Package_Nov_2005.pdf</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

Have you checked the resources at sdn if you can get some evaluation software to play around.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/dotnet

You are right that you need market place to get .net connector 2.0.

Regards,

Raju

Message was edited by: Raju Datla

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

r u able to execute adaptiv RFC model successfully?. If not I will send you a word document with each and every step in detail and problems you may face when connecting as I mentioned what ever errors and exceptions I got and solutions for them

with regards

siva Maddineni.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Thank you. Maybe I'll need your info in the near future.

This very afternoon I'll have meeting in which we are going to talkl about which way to go.

There are lot of ways to integrate my software with the SAP backend, so I first need to line up things and think about the pro's and con's of all possibilities...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

I have sent you the required zip file. See if its useful.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

If u give ur mail id i'll send u the zip file that i mentioned before in my reply.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

I suggested JCO since i thought u were interested in doing that way. For accessing service.sap u need to register there first. Then within a few days u'll get ur S-user id n pswd. U can easily do using adaptive RFC model.

Regards,

Pooja.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>For accessing service.sap u need to register there first. Then within a few days u'll get ur S-user id n pswd.<

As far as I know I can only register if I am an SAP customer. I am not. I am only a developer trying to integrate my software with SAP. I am afraid the JCo or NCo are not free downloadable for me.....:-(

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Yes, you are correct. You can call a BAPI directly from WebDynPro. The connection is made using a "JCo" (Java connection) object which is managed within the WebDynPro Content Administrator. The critical part to make the JCo work is to have your System Landscape Directory (SLD) setup and populated with the detailes of your target R/3 system.

There's a good blog on the process: <a href="/people/sugree.phatanapherom/blog/2005/08/14/configuring-sld-in-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-sneak?state=7">/people/sugree.phatanapherom/blog/2005/08/14/configuring-sld-in-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-sneak?state=7</a>

HTH,

Jonathan