cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed applying note 313347 recommended by SAP to improve System Perf.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

After I posted a message to SAP related to Performance problems under my ERP, they recommended me to implement OSS note 313347 on my system.

This note refers to Windows editions and memory support and what they recommend is that I should apply the /3GB option in order to increase the existing 2 GB process limit to 3GB and following this note I get to note 110172 about how to activate this option using the boot.ini entry.

So following the solution proposed by note 110172 I get to step 2 where it says that Activate the 3 GB option according to Microsoft KB article 283037.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037

But this article is related to another option called PAE for Physical Address Extension but it says there that applying this switch is to take advantage of memory over 4 GB and thus article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810.aspx which is not mentioned on the notes is related to how to Set the /3GB Startup Switch in Windows which is used for systems that have 4 GB of RAM, this is because 3 GB of memory can be assigned to applications and 1 GB can be assigned to OS.

Actually my server physical characteristics are the following:

I have a

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition With Service Pack 2

4 processors Intel(R) Xeon (TM) CPU 3.00 GHz.

4 GB of RAM with Physical Address Extension - - -> (This is what the System Tag says) thus physical memory available in Windows Task Manager in Kb:

Total 4193360

Available 1810000 aprox

System Cache 1320000 aprox

And my Sap application is Enterprise Central Component 5.0.

So my question here is what is best for applying on my system /PAE or /3GB switch?

Best Regards,

Erik Espinosa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

How can you use the two options?

Regards,

Erik Espinosa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You use a 32 bit system. Therefore the maximum directly addressed memory is 4 GB.

The parameter /PAE is to give software access to more than 4 GB of memory on a 32 bit system with more that 4 GB or physical RAM.

As you have just 4 GB of RAM, the /PAE parameter is of no use for you.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Erik,

It is possible to use both switches but in your case please go for /3gb as suggested earlier because you have just 4GB of RAM.

Hope this helps.

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erik,

Refer this :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237740

Hope this might help.

Cheers

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody

I executed the comand msconfig and i did not find the option /3GB or /PAE in the BOOT.INI . Anybody know where can i find it? Do i need to install?

Best Regards,

Fábio Karnik Tchobnian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your case I would use /3GB switch.

BTW, you may be able to use /3GB in conjunction with /PAE. You can do trial and error with these two switches if situation doesn't improve.

Hope this helps.

Manoj Chintawar