cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Create Compound Field

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I attempt to create a compound field in an import map through import manager the field for which I want to create the compound field exists as an option but when I select it the application does not respond. The field is not created and nothing happens. Can someone point to some possible checks I should perform to resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Cliff

Edited by: cnsong on Mar 5, 2009 2:44 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You create a compound source field which has to be mapped to Destination field that consists of multiple display fields.

To create a compound field first map the corresponding Display fields,do the value mapping then create a compound field

If above mentioned step is not performed then Compound field is grayed out.

Regards

Nisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Thanks for your response. The strange thing about this issue is that value mapping has been done for all corresponding display fields and the compound field appears in black (not grayed) but when I click on the available compound field nothing happens and the field is not created. Are there any known bugs where the compound field is selectable but the field does not get generated?

Thank you,

Cliff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just quick check --> The compund field gets created and mapped automatically with destination as soon as you create!

If you are searching for non-mapped field then you have to look for the exact field name;

otherwise it seems to be an issue.

do write to us

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alexander,

Right, I understand that when the compound field gets created it is mapped automatically with destination but in this case the system does not respond and nothing gets created. Also, as a controlled test, I attempted to re-import an XML file through import manager with a previous file for which I successfully generated a compound field before but the error behavior was the same and the compound field was not generated.

Thank you,

Cliff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cliff,

Was your problem resolved? I am experiencing almost the same problem. The non-qualifiers are all mapped (fields and values) but when I try to create a compound field it gives the error "Unable to Retrieve Record".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just thought about this... check the mapping between source and non-qualifier destination should not involve any CLONE fields from source.

please feel free to revert if this issue still exist.

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

I wasn't using any cloned field but I added fields with null values in the Source Hierarchy in Import Manager. I did that before and it worked. But now when I call the map in Import Manager (i was trying to edit the map since we added a new field in the XML), it gives me an error "Unable to retrieve unique values for field InfoRec". I recreated the field with null values and mapped them with the corresponding destination fields but when I try to create the compound field, a new error pops out "Unable to retrieve source records".

Hope you could shed some light on this.

Thanks!

ASP

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cnsong,

As you have mentioned the compound field creation was available for creation but was not getting created.

So this means you have satisfied all the criteria for the compound field creation,cause if not it wouldn't have allowed you for creation.

Why dont you try with a simpler example wherein use a simple Access source for importing and perform all the steps correctly for Qualified importing as shown in the Blog link given.

If it still does not allow you to create the Compount field then this could be an issue with the MDM Support pack or hotfix version you are using.

If it does work then you are missing some step when working with the complex XML source.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. All the Display fields should be mapped [source --> Destination.]

2. Value mapping for the corresponding Display fields.

3. Compound is ready to create now.

nisha correctly mentioned it, thanks.

let us know still this issue exists.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cnsong,

You can refer the below link to understand better when to create a compound field and how to use it:

/people/pooja.khandelwal2/blog/2006/03/29/taming-the-animal--qualified-tables

The criteria to create a compound field is that all the existing display fields must be already mapped.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi cnsong,

Before creating compound field, it is essential to map all the non qualifiers first.

Once done, you need to then create the compound field and map the same

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz