cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication channel error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi XI Gurus

I used File Adapter in my communication channels that is FTP ... scenario is working fine.. but in the RWB- Communication Channel Monitoring the Communication cHannel is showing RedLed(ERROR Status) when there is no file present in the directory.

we are polling FTP site for files,but when file is not found in the directory ,it is showing as error in RWB.

we are on XI 3.0 SP23

The error is communication channel monitoring is

Could not process file 'XI_EVENT.xml: No such file or directory ': com.sap.exception.standard.SAPIllegalArgumentException: The parameter "argument" has the value "ftp://10.205.17.60:21/SAP_FTP/USCORBTDEV/Fusion_INBOX/XI_EVENT.xml: No such file or directory ", so it contains the character "*" which is not allowed

Please suggest me

Regards

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Here is what I think is applicable in your case: Most likely, this behavior is caused by an implementation error in the FTP server, which you are connecting to:

The FTP protocol specification (RFC 959) requires that when issuing a NLST command to retrieve a file list for a given wildcard pattern a list of valid file names gets returned. Error messages must be transmitted via the control channel. From the specification:

"NAME LIST (NLST)

This command causes a directory listing to be sent from server to user site. The pathname should specify a directory or other system-specific file group descriptor; a null argument implies the current directory. The server will return a stream of names of files and no other information. The data will be transferred in ASCII or EBCDIC type over the data connection as valid pathname strings separated by <CRLF> or <NL>. (Again the user must ensure that the TYPE is correct.) This command is intended to return information that can be used by a program to further process the files automatically. For example, in the implementation of a "multiple get" function."

However, your FTP server returns a human-readable error message in the data connection instead of a file list when no files match the wildcard pattern (the channel's file name mask) provided to the NLST command, which is - in compliance with RFC 959 - interpreted as a file name by the File Adapter.

An example FTP session:

[...]

ftp> ls file*.txt

200 PORT command successful.

150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls

file*.txt: No such file or directory

226 ASCII Transfer complete.

[...]

The line causing the problems reads:

file*.txt: No such file or directory

As this line is interpreted as a file name by the File Adapter (as per RFC 959), the File Adapter will try to retrieve this file, which will - of course - fail. However, as the FTP server has returned at least one (although invalid) file name, the File Adapter will immediately poll again for new files. This is by design and cannot be configured.

Src : http :// www. sapag. co.in /XI%203.0%20PI%207.0%20File%20Adapter.html

Thanks,

Pooja Pandey

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP came back through an OSS ticket and indicated that the RFC 959 protocol is not being supported by the ftp server in question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

Before you go to the more complex solutions try these 2 simple things.

Increase the polling interval and in the processing section don't delete the file after reading, instead move it to archive.

What is probably happening is the file is read and deleted immediately which you will have to avoid.

Gud luck,

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan,

I tried with all the scenarios, by taking * out or giving the exact file name, but it not worked.

Pls anybody help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srini,

One small check....

Check if folder name are in the same case ( Upper / Lower ). Also try to access FTP server using ftp user /pwd and check if ftp login is taking you to correct directory folder.

hint : replace "/" with "\" while specifying directory structure ...you can try.

Hope this will help.

Nilesh

Edited by: Nilesh Kshirsagar on Mar 12, 2009 4:54 PM