Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Proxy or IDOC Adapter?

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

In my project, we are using 3 system(SAP R/3(ECC 6.0), Oracle and VAN). Data has to synchronize between these systems.

1. Oracle ->PI ->SAP R/3

Oracle system is sending Material master data to SAP R/3 ECC 6.0. At sender side I am using JDBC Adapter but at receiver side shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy? If I go for ABAP server proxy I need to create message type for material master in IR and then I have to write code in abap to insert MM data into tables in R/3. Please suggest which one will be better IDOC adpter or ABAP Proxy?

2.VAN->PI->SAP R/3

VAN is sending Invoice data to SAP R/3. At sender side I am using Seeburger Adapter. At receiver shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy?

3.SAP->PI->VAN

Sap is sending PO data to VAN. At sender side Shall i go for IDoc Adapter or ABAP proxy?

Please suggest me which one is better in all the scenarios.

How to decide which is better for the above scenarios?

Thanks In advance

Venkatesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi all,

>

> In my project, we are using 3 system(SAP R/3(ECC 6.0), Oracle and VAN). Data has to synchronize between these systems.

>

> 1. Oracle ->PI ->SAP R/3

> Oracle system is sending Material master data to SAP R/3 ECC 6.0. At sender side I am using JDBC Adapter but at receiver side shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy? If I go for ABAP server proxy I need to create message type for material master in IR and then I have to write code in abap to insert MM data into tables in R/3. Please suggest which one will be better IDOC adpter or ABAP Proxy?

>

> 2.VAN->PI->SAP R/3

>

> VAN is sending Invoice data to SAP R/3. At sender side I am using Seeburger Adapter. At receiver shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy?

>

> 3.SAP->PI->VAN

> Sap is sending PO data to VAN. At sender side Shall i go for IDoc Adapter or ABAP proxy?

> Please suggest me which one is better in all the scenarios.

> How to decide which is better for the above scenarios?

>

> Thanks In advance

>

> Venkatesh

Material Master - MATMAS

Invoice - INVOIC01

PO - ORDERS

wouldnt the above IDoc suit you?

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shabarish Vijayakumar,

I know that for all the scenario specified in the above have standard idoc. My question is Which one will be better whether Idoc adapter or ABAP proxy? What is the advantage of using idoc adapter over ABAP proxy?

When we will going to use ABAP proxy?

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Shabarish Vijayakumar,

>

> I know that for all the scenario specified in the above have standard idoc. My question is Which one will be better whether Idoc adapter or ABAP proxy? What is the advantage of using idoc adapter over ABAP proxy?

> When we will going to use ABAP proxy?

>

> Thanks,

> Venkatesh

Dont think twice. Reuse the framework. Use IDocs.

ABAP proxy - when to use? - /people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

If the thoughts mentioned above is applicable to your scenarios then revisit decision of going for IDocs

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Go for Idoc adapter in all the cases unless you want a response back to the sender system. The formats in Idocs are very well defined and supported in SAP. Also, the readily available Outbound and Inbound processing code will make life much easier while development. Implementing a proxy in this case is very much possible, but it would unnecessarily increase the implementation duration and cost involved.

Regards,

Prateek

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prateek,

VAN->PI->SAP R/3 if this is a synchronous

VAN is sending EDI Invoice data to SAP R/3. At sender side I am using Seeburger Adapter. Since it is synchronous I will go for abap proxy. I have few doubts in this scenario please clarify the same.

Lets assume that I have standard IDOC and BAPI for the above message. since it is synchronous. I will go for abap proxy. abap proxy uses message type of IR to generate proxy. In abap proxy code i will call the standard bapi to insert data into SAP. My doubt is how can i create message type in IR? Is their any way to use Meta data of that bapi or do i need to hard code the data type and use it in message type? will the hard coded message type is acceptable by std bapi in abap proxy?

Thanks,

Venkatesh

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, for sync scenario, you may use both abap proxy and RFC.

Is their any way to use Meta data of that bapi or do i need to hard code the data type and use it in message type?

You may use the RFC structure by exporting it and editing the namespace details there and reimporting it. Otherwise you have to create it manually in IR.

will the hard coded message type is acceptable by std bapi in abap proxy?

It will be accepted by abap proxy. Because you will have to create a message interface based on this datatype only. The proxy in R3 would be generated for this interface only. In the server proxy code you need to pass these fields as input to BAPI in order to execute it.

Regards,

Prateek

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Is their any way to use Meta data of that bapi or do i need to hard code the data type and use it in message type?

You may use the RFC structure by exporting it and editing the namespace details there and reimporting it. Otherwise you have to create it manually in IR.

When u export the meta data of BAPI I am exporting WSDL not XSD. After editing namespace details and importing as external definition, so you can't use in message type because it is in wsdl format. I need to it manually. Am I correct?

Thanks

Venkatesh

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

I got the answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venkatesh,

You go with IDOCS if you can make use of the standard idocs like INVOIC,DESADV,ORDERS etc.

otherwise you can think about ABAP proxy. it really depends on various factors. we are using standard idocs since and then manipulating whatever necessary in PI.

Regards,

Pavan

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go for IDOCs blindly....

1. There are std idocs avaialable for your functionality

2. Idocs have inbuilt std error handling

Only thing is that they are async so if you dont require sync communication and you have std idocs avaiable for your funcationality go for them

Giving points is another way to say thanks

venky_b
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My question is Which one will be better whether Idoc adapter or ABAP proxy? What is the advantage of using idoc adapter over ABAP proxy? When we will going to use ABAP proxy?

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is alwasy recommanded to use standard IDocs if they are available and if not then your second options should be either creation ZIDoc or proxy method.

Both IDoc and Proxy are ment for faster and large amount of data transfer. Only one big differece is that IDocs are always asynchronous but at the same time proxies can be sysnchronous or asynchronous.

Regards,

Sarvesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Oracle system is sending Material master data to SAP R/3 ECC 6.0. At sender side I am using JDBC Adapter but at receiver side shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy? If I go for ABAP server proxy I need to create message type for material master in IR and then I have to write code in abap to insert MM data into tables in R/3. Please suggest which one will be better IDOC adpter or ABAP Proxy?

If you know the IDOC which can be used in your case, then go ahead with IDOC, but if you don't know or no such IDOC exist for your case then go with inbound (server) proxy method.

> 2.VAN->PI->SAP R/3

>

> VAN is sending Invoice data to SAP R/3. At sender side I am using Seeburger Adapter. At receiver shall i go for IDOC Adpter or ABAP proxy?

>

For Invoice there are IDOCs available in R3, so go ahead with standard IDOCs.

> 3.SAP->PI->VAN

> Sap is sending PO data to VAN. At sender side Shall i go for IDoc Adapter or ABAP proxy?

Go with IDoc.

So in short, if you find an IDoc then go ahead with IDoc rather going with proxies. But still it depends on your exact requirement. So if IDoc doesn't fulfill your requirement then you have to go with proxies.

Regards,

Sarvesh