cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for parameterised mapping?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When do we use parameters in our mapping and why?

thanks in advance.

regards,

Ramya Shenoy.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me give you one simple example for your understanding.

Say you have a Mapping where input has First Name and Last Name. Your target has the field Full Name.

Now imagine you have to send this data to 3 different receivers. Receiver A expects the first and last name to be concatenated separated by a space, while B expects a . (period) and C expects a _ (underscore).

With parametrized mapping, you can now specify this in runtime in ID. So with a single mapping you can handle all this conditions and also in case tomorrow there is a new system added which expect a # between the first and last name, all you need is a minor change in your ID in PRD rather than transporting your mapping from Dev -> QA -> PRD.

Just a minor example. Hope you understand the usage.

Also have a look at the blog mentioned by Joel for a better understanding.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shenoy,

Please go through this link . It will provide you all the details you require for your understanding.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/43/bbb7fd90f5332ee10000000a11466f/content.htm.

let me know if i have given you the correct link or not ?

regards

Ashwin Kumar Dhakne

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP's recommendation is to configure the IR part once in Dev environment and move it further to QA and Prod. In case of mappings with RFC lookups, certain ID related parameters like communication channel or business system name has to be provided which makes it necessary to be edited in QA and Prod environments. In order to avoid it, and change these parameters at configuration time (in ID), parameterized mappings have been eveolved.

Regards,

Prateek

JoelTrinidade
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

Refer: SAP PI 7.1 Mapping Enhancements Series: Parameterized Message Mappings

/people/jin.shin/blog/2008/02/14/sap-pi-71-mapping-enhancements-series-parameterized-message-mappings

Rgds

joel