cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI to MDM transition , Kindly help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts !

I have been working in SAP XI (now PI) for close to 3 years and would like to move on to SAP MDM

request you to kindly guide me to a starting point and help me resove these doubts.

a) What is the basic technology pre requisite to learn MDM ( java or smthing else )

b) I am not that good with Java coding , is that a problem?

c) conceptually how dificult it is to learn with a little hands on and not an actual project experience.

kindly respond !

sd

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SD,

What is the basic technology pre requisite to learn MDM ( java or smthing else )

- MDM is a configuration driven tool , any such mandatory prerequisite is not required to learn MDM.However a basic understanding of ABAP or Java will definitely be helpful in integrating MDM with others systems.

I am not that good with Java coding , is that a problem?

- It is not a problem ,as i mentioned earlier it will be an added advantage if you know java.

conceptually how dificult it is to learn with a little hands on and not an actual project experience

- Conceptually you will understand MDM well if you go through the SAP MDM ref guides which will guide you in learning MDM.You can then start using those concepts with hands on which will help you gain some more confidence in the subject.later you can gradually move on to doing scenario using SAP MDM which will make you proficient in MDM.

There are 4 main books on MDM which will tell you all about MDM they are:

- MDM Console Reference Guide

- MDM Data Manager Reference Guide

- MDM Import Manager Referenc Guide

- MDM Syndiactor Reference guide

You can refer these guides from the belwo link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/D7AED5058201B4E10000000A11466F/frameset.htm (mdm ref guides)

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SD,

If you are an XI consultant, then it is a good start itself as XI and MDM work in tandem.. There is tons of material available on MDM also MDM community is as strong as any other SAP product community.

Even if you are not good at JAVA programming, it is better to understand the CAPABILITIES of JAVA APIs that come with MDM. Most of the time on a Project, MDM pre-delivered capabiliities are not sufficient fo fulfill Customer requirements and customization is needed and that is where JAVA API plays the role.

Apart from that, a typical MDM consultants need to write simple excel like formulas for data validations and data manipulations. It is not hard to pick up these formulas.

You may visit this blog for JAVA API.

Other than those, also visit these blogs for MDM fresher....These are are helpful

Let me know if it was helpful and keep bloging here and keep updating your blogs.

Thanks,

Shai

Experts !

I have been working in SAP XI (now PI) for close to 3 years and would like to move on to SAP MDM

request you to kindly guide me to a starting point and help me resove these doubts.

a) What is the basic technology pre requisite to learn MDM ( java or smthing else )

b) I am not that good with Java coding , is that a problem?

c) conceptually how dificult it is to learn with a little hands on and not an actual project experience.

kindly respond !

sd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sd,

You need any programming experience to learn MDM unless you want to involve in API part of MDM.

For MDM info you can check the following links:

For SAP MDM documentation you can follow the link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/D7AED5058201B4E10000000A11466F/frameset.htm

Hope this helps and Good luck:)

Best Regards,

Silpa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Silpa

very kind of you ! i appreciate it

rewarded points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sd,

Thank you and small correction on my previous statement.

I meant to say that you don't need programming experience just to work on MDM. If you want to integrate MDM with portal you need JAVA or ABAP exp.

Best Regards,

Silpa