Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change parameters in Oracle 9.2 - spfile initialization file missing

valeriocicchiel
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi community,

I have to change some parameters in an Oracle database 9.2

On the server there is a single init<sid>.ora which was created from an spfile, but the spife is no more present on the directory. I don't know why this was done, and I can't find any related informations.

Can I change the database parameters directly in this file or I must create the corresponding spfile and start to use it? I know that the second way is the best and the use of spfile is recommended by SAP, but I would like to keep things as they were until now, as I have not enough informations on this system

Thanks for ant suggestion,

Valerio

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I don't know why this was done, and I can't find any related informations.

Make sure to figure this out - if there's no reason, than you should consider using the spfile.

> Can I change the database parameters directly in this file or I must create the corresponding spfile and start to use it?

Nope - the init<sid>.ora is just a plain text file.

Open it, edit it, restart the database - that's it.

regards,

Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oracle uses SP file from 9i. Please check value of parameter SPFILE.If it blank system is not using spfile, if shows value something like this spfile= E:\ORACLE\102\DATABASE\SPFILESID.ORA, then it use spfile.

Just give below command & try.

SQL> create spfile from pfile;

Here even if you dont take restart that will do, but if possible please take a DB restart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sushil

valeriocicchiel
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks everybody for your help

Lars, I think I will follow your advice modifying the initsid.ora adding new parameters with the syntax *.<parameter>=<value>

Valerio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When an Oracle Instance is started, the characteristics of the Instance are established by parameters specified within the initialization parameter file. These initialization parameters are either stored in a PFILE or SPFILE,so there should be a spfile in your system,just check once

Also you can make changes directly in init<sid>.ora file,just that you will have to restart the instance

but look for spfile,it must be there

Rohit