cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confuse between SAP Kernel and SAP Installation file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears:

My CPU is ADM 64 bit, but when i try to download the ECC5 which will be installed in linux 32 bit system from SAP site, i find the confuse between SAP Kernel and SAP instllation file.

1. In the ECC5 download page, i can see lots of oracle download file, some named DVD ORACLE RDBMS 10.2 LINUX_IA32 1 of 4 , some named Oracle 10.2.0.2. for LINUX32. So if the LINUX_IA32 is only for the CPU which is Itanium CPU?

2. I check the sap update kernel, SAP Kernel 32 bit unicode is devided by sap kernel 6.4 320-bit unicode---Linux on IA 32-bit, so if my CPU is AMD 64 bit, but my os is Linux 32 bit, if the upgrade kernel file Linux on IA 32-bit can be used for Linux 32 bit system whith 64 bit CPU, or if the Linux on IA 32-bit is just for Itanium CPU?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears:

Thanks for your kindly reply. Although my cpu is AMD 64 bit, but i think is still can install Linux_x86 version which is the 32 bit linux version.

And i check ECC5 kernel production release, and i find that ECC5 kernel support the following database version:

LINUX REDHAT EL5/IA32 32BIT

So if IA32 32BIT is for sap kernel, then the Linux_x86 can still install the ECC5, do you think so ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again

I just checked the pam again, and it looks like i got it wrong. There is still 32-bit available for ECC5.

ORACLE 10.2 LINUX REDHAT EL5/IA32 32BIT 24.07.2007 Released SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT

So technically it should be possible to install it the way you wanted. Sorry for my misleading post (but hey you should still consider using 64-bit :-).

Best regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Afaik mho is right, but let me add one more clarification:

IA32 is not Itanium.

IA32 and IA64 is Intel Architecture for 32 and 64 bit resp.

Itanium is 64 bit only, IA64.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Other SDN-lers may correct me if i am wrong...

So if the LINUX_IA32 is only for the CPU which is Itanium CPU?

-> yes, you cannot run IA32 binaries on your AMD-64 (x86_64)

2. As far as i know, you cannot use 32-bit on x86_64, it is not supported for ECC5 / NW04, check service.sap.com/pam. You will have to install a 64-bit linux.

Best regards, Michael