cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI as a tool for migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Can we use XI as a migration tool? If i want to move all data of my non-sap system to sap system, can i go for xi?

If we can use XI, what are all the challengs i'll have and the areas i need to focus more while designing the implementaion?

Your views on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Senthil.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>Can we use XI as a migration tool? If i want to move all data of my non-sap system to sap system, can i go for xi?

it is highly recommended NOT to use XI for migration

SAP application system (R/3, CRM, SCM etc.) offer much better

tool to do that like LSMW

so don't use XI for migration - use LSMW for that

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

http://mypigenie.com XI/PI FAQ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I am very happy that i got a reply from you!!! Thanks Michal.

Can you elaborate on this? What kind of problems or challenges we will have? Is it going to deal with high volume of data or something else?

Your views definetly will help me a lot...

Thanks & regards,

Senthil.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>Is it going to deal with high volume of data or something else?

yes +

many programs for data import are already developed in ABAP

(reports) so it would require to change them to FM (pretty time consuming)

with LSMW you can see the errors directly and with XI you'd have to log on to SAP

lookups with LSMW you can use ABAP to lookup every table with XI - API lookup for migration ? too high volume I'd say

LSMW offers almost the same mapping functions as XI

(and if you use excel for migrations it's even better)

so I'd not use XI for sure for migrations

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Other tool that you can use aside from LSMW is SXDA.

SXDA is better in terms of performance when BAPI is used as the method to do data migration. Other than that, it's recommended to use LSMW.

Regards,

Lim...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am looking for more inputs, Can anybody provide me the pros and cons for using XI/PI for migration?

Thanks & Regards,

Senthil.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i think the above posts pretty much sums it all up.

Migration always comes in with a huge amount of data. Imagine a file which you would have to handle which contains massive data. XI has always had issues in this regard. Secondly, to create an interface which will be used a select number of times for such data. Investing time and money in this wouldnt reap benefits. Also when it is to consider that most of the data in a migration would be out of an excel sheet, you would have to custom code in XI to read and parse an excel file.

With migration tools as mentioned in posts above, the capabilities are already perfected. So why not use it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shabarish.

I am analyzing how fesable xi would be for migration. If you dont mind, can u tell me the unique things of migration compared to integration?

Will it be difficult if i split the data into small chunks for transfer?

With Regards,

Senthil.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the answer to your question from my viewpoint will be a question - What is XI role towards the end going to be in your landscape? Will it be an integration tool or will it be a migration tool primarily?

If the answer is former, then I would say you can leverage XI for migration but if the answer is latter then go for tools like LSMW.

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Senthil,

The scenario that you are explaining wherein you have to move all the data from non sap to sap systems seems to be one time activity and hence there is no use of XI in this

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tarang,

Thanks for your suggestion.

It wont be a one time activity. Migration would be done phase by phase and it'll has many phases...

With Regards,

Senthil.