cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the installation server

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have deployed our clients from a network share using the installation server.

We are currently preparing a new setup of the installation server on a different hardware.

How do I 'inform' the clients that the installation source have moved so they start looking at a new place for the patches?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the answer to my question. It is not a registry setting. If you right click on the SAP Logon shortcut on the Desktop (it is the SAL file) and click "Open with..". Choose Notepad. You will see a section called [InstServer] and it will have the path to the current FIS server it is using. Change it to the new server path and you are good to go. I have tested and validated this works.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in a similiar situation. We are trying to move a group of our users to a different Frontend Installation Server (FIS). We want to use it as a QA box to test against before deploying GUI patches to all users. I have dug through the registry until I know every SAP entry by memory, but have not been able to find the one that will re-point it to the new server.

I even tried running
naatlncsafp1\sapdev$\setup\NWSAPSETUP.exe /UPDATE /NoDlg to force it to pull the update for the "QA" server. It did pull the update, but when I checked the SapStart.log to see if it was now looking to the new server for updates, it was still looking to the "old" FIS.

I am hoping I can find an easy way to move them. I would hate to have to uninstall and reinstall several hundred GUI's just to get them pointed to the correct FIS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When try to check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP\NwSAPSetup\General

check key

InstServer

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can make a registry change via

HKEY Local Machine -- Software -- SAP -- SAPSetup -- General -- Instserver

Change the value to the new server.

Export the key and then import to your client machines.

Most deployment tools will deploy a key for you.

Or, you can just send the export file, which will be <filename>.reg to your users in e-mail and have them double-click it. It will then ask them if they want to accept the key and install it to their registry.

I don't know if this is SAP-supported but it works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That key doesn't seem to exist on our clients.

We are running 7.10. Could it be that the setting have moved somewhere else?