cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Values and Value Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I hav a doubt regarding these to funnctions in Messege mapping. In both teh functions , we can change a value coming from Load to some thing else.

A=1

B=2

C=8.

The difference i hav noted is the in case of fixed values, we can assign the valsues in the messege mapping itself, and in case of value mapping it is assigned in the value mapping table in integartion directory, and thsi can be seen through Runtime Workbench in Cache Monitering. . Apart from that there seems to be no big significat difference in the application .

Pls correct me , if I ma missing out something.

Pls tell me if both hav the same functionality, why were these 2 functions made , any 1 of them, preferably Value Mappimg Function could hav been enough.

Regards,

Arnab.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Apart from that there seems to be no big significat difference in the application .\

The difference you mentioned matters a lot. Value mapping is of course more advantageous. This is because you may edit it in configuration time.

Suppose you have a landscape with Dev, QA and Prod server. It is suggested not to change the IR content across the landscapes. In case of Fix Values, if there are some change then you have to break the recommendations. Fix value is used where the conversions are fixed and it is made sure that it will remain same across the landscapes.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

This was the best described reply, from business perspective.

Gud Reply, Satisfied.

Regards,

Arnab

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Pls tell me if both hav the same functionality, why were these 2 functions made , any 1 of them, preferably Value Mappimg Function could hav been enough.

Value mapping is far more flexible than fix values.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/13/ba20dd7beb14438bc7b04b5b6ca300/frameset.htm

you can do mass replication of the value mapping table using a special interface in case the number of entries in it is massive.

Fix values are generally intended at a small range of entries.

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Value Mapping is something specific to Customer implementation.

You can have same design for 'n' no. of customers but the Configuration will be according to their individual requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Fixed value mapping is Message mapping Specific

But Value mapping allows u to create a Schema and group .

Value mapping functionality will be well understood in large integration where many mapping programs using same conversions.

Maintain advantage is maintance is easy with value mapping because if any chnages in value , just ID change is enogh no need to go mapping but this is not with fixed value

For instance if u r using Fixed value in 50 mapping programs u need to change in all

But if u r using Value mapping just one ID

Which one u prefer

all based upon u r landscape for mapping

Srini