SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Barcodindg in trading industry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Folks !

Is anyone in this industry, managing inventory with barcodes? i am not talking about the documents, but the MATERIALS.

as per my knowledge theres no standards avaialble in the SAP for storing materials under barcodes. how are you folks managing the scenario? please share any knowledge you have.

Many thanks.

Ashwin

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You cannot manage inventory at the barcode level. bcos it is not a primary key. however there is a work around either you can use Batches or split valuation. i would advice batches..

Jonk

0 Kudos

Hello Jonk,

Thanks for replying. but i am sorry i didnt get you. i am expecting a work around to manage inventory using barcodes. i mean i have to store different materials with barcodes, like in Retail. i ll try to brief, plz go through this if you have some time.....

Scenario at my client is as follows:

Generation of barcodes

Sending it to the vendors

vendor pastes it on the products

GR at the client's warehouse using the same barcode

and tracking goods movement using barcodes thereafter.

is this being maintained in anyway in trading companies world wide?

i dont seem to get any info on this scenario. everything has to be done using Z transaction i suppose.

Hope i have given you enough description. plz let me know if you require any more information on this.

Thanks again

Ashwin

0 Kudos

Hi Ashwin,

Why you want to maintain inventory based on barcodes ???.

Its not at all required since in SAP Articles are managed in Moving Average Price which is Total Stock / Total Value.

Barcodes are used mainly for Sales Perspective to sell the same article at different MRP and for Unique Identification.

During Sales, Maintain Sales Price based on Article / EAN combination to meet your requirements.

Hope it is clear now.

Regards,

Selvakumar. M

0 Kudos

hi Selvakumar,

Thanks for taking interest in my thread.

as u have said the barcodes are for unique identification and not for the price. here price is not at all a problem. the client sells the same article to 10 different customers at 10 different prices.

But my client is having inventory managed using barcodes already, i mean storage and movement. the products carry warranty , so to track when and to whom was it sold and for all other such reasons , the client wants to incorporate the same in SAP.

we are having tough time generating, printing and storage in tables and making MIGO with these barcodes and thereafter at every movement type, where products are moved from one place to other, barcodes needs to be enabled.

well, barcode will only contain details of products like material description and vender description. where it is fetched from the P.O, which is printed as barcodes....

did this give u a correct picture? let me know if u want to know more...

Thanks again Selvakumar

Ashwin..

0 Kudos

Hi ashwin,

I think i gave you a hint .. maintain your batches as the EAN/UPC ..and maintain the condition records (VKPO) at EAN level .. this way both your problems are solved (1) you can track the inventory using EAN (bcos ur EAN is ur batch Number) . (2) and your sales price can be derived from your EAN/UPC..

Now the only problem is your EAN/UPC Logic (i would advice not to use any logic in creating ur EAN UPC number) ..bcos with plethora of SKU's .u will run short of logic..

Jonk