cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Research Area/topic in SOA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What could be the best SOA research topic/area in context of SAP Enterprise Architecture? Can anyone suggest a good SOA based research topic/area?

Edited by: Abdul Nasir Rajput on Feb 28, 2009 2:36 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

to properly answer your question we need more information: Do you want to focus more on business or technology, what is the time frame of the research project, is it a transfer project, is it a PhD...

Best regards,

Joern

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Joern,

Thanks a lot for your reply,

Itu2019s a MSc project (SAP university Alliance) aims to integrate and critically discuss the literature on SOA with in SAP boundaries. The study tends to provide some statement of recommendations and proposal on SOA as well, arising from a critical review of SOA. Is it possible to focus the research report by both aspects of SOA (technology and business) ?

I've some narrowed research topics e.g. a) The impact of SOA on SAP enterprise architect OR

b) The impact of SOA on SAP business process platform based on SAP products.

Iu2019ve been given a period of three months to write a minimum on 15000 words on the focused topic.

best wishes,

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Abdul,

you selected a complex topic.

What is the main goal of the report, how is your supervisor going to use the report? If there is no goal then create one yourself (e.g. I want to have SOA expertise interesting for my CV). Why does your supervisor want a critical review? Is he looking for open issues? If yes in which area? What is the impact of the recommendation you will make in your thesis?

There are two strategies for you: Either you provide a very high-level report covering many aspects but not in detail (I guess this is more your proposed work a) or you have a very detailed report of one specific issue in SOA (i guess this goes more into the direction of b).

What sources do you want to include? Academic publications, white papers, industry reports etc.? Be prepared that you might not have much literature. Are you going to have interviews? You have to schedule interviews in advance and know what you want to ask etc. This takes time.

Regarding business vs. technology aspect: Well, It is hard to say if you have the time to cover both. Maybe you should ask your supervisor about it. Business is more on methodologies, strategic and governance aspects when using SOA. This is a very fuzzy area and only since recently you find something more substancial in this area. On the other hand you find a lot on technology in the literature. You might want to explore things like: Does the technology really fit to the business use cases? Which business domains are not covered very well, where there is still a need for standardization, which standards failed and so on.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Joern

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Joern,

Really appreciated your detailed input, itu2019s really helpful and has given me a more accurate focus on my research topic.

will be soon back once have further in-depth look in to my research area (SOA) considering all your valuable recommendations/input and after having an advice from my supervisor as well.

Thanks for all your time once again.

Best wishes,

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos