cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature design and larger font size

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I use the signature design with a larger font size then I get some big problems:

- As soon as I create another session or switch between sessions, then the signature design becomes really slow. You can easily see how the application menu is rendered icon by icon.

- The sizing of icons within a tree control, e.g. IMG, SAP menu, does not work. When the font size is doubeled, then the icon size increases at least by a factor 4. Only parts of the icons are displayed. Looks stupid and makes it difficult to work with such a tree control.

I am using:

- Windows XP

- SAP GUI 7.10

- Patch level 12

- XP is configured to use 120 dpi, UseHR is activated for the internet explorer

- Screen resolution 1920 * 1200

- SAP GUI works fine with a font size of 8. Any other font size is causing the described problems

I really like the signature design, but with the current problems I can not use it in a productive environment.

Is this an error within the GUI or do I have to change something in windows?

Best regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204677
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

yes, we really have some issues with the icons in the tree control using large fonts. This will hopefully be solved with the next Patch 13.

Regarding the performance: What graphics card do you use?

Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

That is good news that you are working on the sizing of icons in tree controls.

I am running SAP GUI in a virtual machine (VMWare 6.5) using VMWare SVGA II as graphics card. None of my other applications, including SAP GUI Tradeshow design, has the same performance issues as the signature design.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

former_member204677
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

OK, VMWare is the explanation for the low-speed rendering.

You can't compare Signature with Tradeshow or the other NewVisual Designs.

Signature is more complex and uses e.g. bitmaps, which simply need longer time for rendering. On a "normal office PC" you will hardly see any difference, but in a virtual environment with a "software" graphics this might differ...

Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

I measured the time that it takes to switch from one GUI Session to another GUI session. Both tests were done on the same PC in the same virtual machine. Both GUI sessions were full screen. No other applications or GUI sessions were running during the tests:

- Font size 100%: Less than 1 second

- Font size 150%: About 4 seconds

- Font size 200%: About 8 seconds

I think this is a bug in the SAP GUI and not related to VMWare. For more than 3 years I am now running all my applications in virtual machines. This includes a lot of applications that use graphics and variable sizing of graphics and fonts. I have never experienced such a performance issue before.

If you try to reproduce this issue, then please consider that I use 120 DPI for the screen and that UseHR for the Internet explorer is activated in the registry.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

former_member204677
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I tried with same settings on our ESX, but it (e.g. se80) renders within a second using the 200% fonts and 120dpi and resolution of 1920x1280...

Kind Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

I tried the SAP GUI in another virtual machine. Same performance issues with larger fontsizes. This virtual machine uses 96 dpi and UseHR is deactivated. Both virtual machines are using VMWare Workstation 6.5.0 and Windows XP SP 3. I do not have performance issues with any other application.

If you are not able to reproduce the issue, then I can only hope that it goes away with a future release. Until then I will continue to use the Tradeshow design.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

Answers (0)