cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 2008, mssql 2008, hyper-v...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We decided to transfer our SAP systems to virtualized landscape. We are analyzing hyper-v solution. We think this is an economic way for windows platform. Does anybody have experience on windows 2008, mssql 2008, hyper-v, windows 2003 as an guest system...etc.? These are not productive system but performance and availability are importing things for us.

Second option is migrate system to linux/oracle and using XEN...

I'm waiting for your suggestion.

Best Regards...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We decided to transfer our SAP systems to virtualized landscape. We are analyzing hyper-v solution. We think this is an economic way for windows platform. Does anybody have experience on windows 2008, mssql 2008, hyper-v, windows 2003 as an guest system...etc.? These are not productive system but performance and availability are importing things for us.

You can start with http://sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/virtualization.

> Second option is migrate system to linux/oracle and using XEN...

Oracle is not supported (as of now) on virtualized environments, however, it works nicely in Xen, the performance impact on Linux is minimal, if not hundred or thousands users working on the system I'm sure you won't even notice a difference.

If you have no strict platform choice yet you could switch to MaxDB instead of Oracle, cheaper in maintenance and likewise performant. Another idea could be Solaris x64 (on the same hardware) using zones for virtualization, performance impact is there even less and Oracle is supported on that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thahk you for your interesting. Another option is running windows 2003 guest on linux host via XEN. I've read this is not supported by SAP. But maybe you have an experience about this?

Best Regards...

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - I've done that. I works but the SuSE provided drivers for network and block devices are not yet that stable. Especially if you use SQL Server as database. I have had a quite some"suspect" databases and torn pages because of I/O related errors that could be sourced to the SuSE block drivers.

It boots very fast (if you use a SAN backend and raw devices).

If you use AMD processors you can't install the HAL drivers for the processor synchronization and due to that you need to switch via boot.ini to the lower speed operating system timer - instead of using the highres timer.

If you want to go for Windows I'd use Hyper-V or VMWare, both are supported for production environments.

For me personally, if I have a choice, I prefer any Unix or Linux above Windows.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now our systems run on win 2003 / oracle. We can change our platform because of virtualization decision. We try to find economic, reliable option.

What is your opinion windows/oracle guest system on SUSE linux via XEN?

Best Regards...

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is your opinion windows/oracle guest system on SUSE linux via XEN?

As you can in the links on above page there is no support for Oracle running in virtualized environments (as of now). The database server would need to be on a physical host.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We've migrate our system to sql and vmware platform.

Best Regards...