cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right SLD design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

we are planing a new system landscape (SLD) for a new client project and we are not quite sure what is the correct SLD design.

We have 4 environments Development, Test, Quality and Production separated in two different locations.

Development, Test and Quality in one location and Production in a different one. Separated by Firewall.

I would strictly follow the SAP official System Landscape Directory Planing Guide (Document Version 2.05 u2013 December 2008), 3.4.1.1.2 SLD Landscape: General Recommendation u2013 Landscapes with SAP NetWeaver PI and/or Web Dynpro Java Applications, Page 32.

The SAP proposal here is to have one productive SLD (runtime) on PI production which automatic forwarded SLD objects to the Solution Manager (SM) and non productive SLD (design-time) on e.g. located PI development. SLD object will transport out of design-time SLD at non production environment to runtime SLD at production.

Other colleagues prefer the option to have SLD's in each environments. That means also in Test as well as in Quality. SLD objects should transported trough each environment.

What is your opinion?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

So far have nt gone through the abv doc.

but going by the traditional Single/ multi SLD question, here is my point

I have worked on both these scenarios..though both arguments can be well supported, I slightly tilt towards multi/individual SLD

w.r.t SLD there is nothing much you transport. having diff SLDs is a cleaner approach & the load on the Prod sys is less compared to Single SLD approach, due to connections from diff systems.

Patching/ downtime handling will be much easier when multi SLD.

other common issues w.r.t development etc, you know by yourself by now..

Regards

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks to all!

Due to this conversation we decided to implement, as SAP recommends, one SLD on the non-production side for (DEV, QA and TEST) as well as one SLD exclusively for production.

Regards,

Jochen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP recommends to have a single SLD for all the environments. You should first check the feasibility of this approach. In the previous implementations, we were not able to do that coz as per the client IT policies, we developers( non American citizens) were not authorized to view Prod data. So we had a SLD for Dev and QA and a separate one for Prod.

The advantage of single SLD is of course less maintenance and easier transports.

Regards

Jai

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How crowded is your SLD with objects of each system? If not much, then your approach of two SLDs seems to be suitable. It will largely reduce your transport related efforts and would be easily manageable too.

Regards,

Prateek