Did you mean: 

Minus rating

Former Member
0 Kudos

If that forum I can set rating if some one help me in solving my problem:

> Solved problem (10)

> Very helpful answer (6)

> Helpful answer (2)

But frequently we see answers about NOTHING: a lot of links. Some times that links me by helpfull but mostly they don't help in solving problem. And after thet author ask set rating.

If I can set minus rating author will think before posting such answers.

P.S. Better chew that talk.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member192718
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Anton,

If author ask for rating don't rate that is already a reply to him that the answer provided is not suitable.

What is wrong in watching such thread? It will help you to explore more and get some additional knowledge.

You want to punish those who is posting not of your choice. In the forum you are asking for request mean you want help from others in solving your querry.

You are the better judge whether answer is correct or wrong.

I feel this is totally unaccepted idea.

Reagards,

Kaushal Rai

Former Member
0 Kudos

> You are the better judge whether answer is correct or wrong.

The bugger with that is when folks walk through life without reading any of the rules nor the instruction manuals or thinking about their possible existence... because they see themselves as super-heroes and use words like "must", and "have to" and "ASAP", etc. and don't notice that often a large majority actually think they are a nitt.

This trait can often be seen in politicians, particularly in countries where freedom of the press is heavily moderated ... that is why I think that an open rating system where everyone can click on the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" of a post /thread is a healthy community thing...

Of course there will be some disagreements... that is the whole point...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

open rating system where everyone can click on the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" of a post /thread is a healthy community thing...

This sounds great.

And addon to this the search results should have the option to sort by maximum "thumbs up".It helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I agree. In addition to these terms, what irritates is the demonstration of utter lack of common sense, i.e some answers make you wonder whether the author has read the question at all. Several times we observe that the asker politely reminds others to read the question again. Add to these, those posts which are irrelevant, superficial and as somebody pointed out - 'duplicate' (even in the same thread!!)

However I am not sure if open rating can discourage this behaviour. I doubt if anyone would care if they get a thumbs down as they won't be getting any rewards in such a system. But if a 'thumbs down' can take something away from them, something that they earned after a lot of hard work, then they will start caring for such ratings. By this, I refer to the 'negative points' that is being discussed in several threads. While we provide incentives to encourage contribution, there should be disincentives to discourage erratic behaviour. If earning points is such a big deal to people, then losing them would also be taken seriously and thereby quality of the posts is likely to improve.

Regards,

Krishna.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting idea.

> Irrelevant (-1)

> Misleading/Confusing (-2)

> Dangerous (-5)

I assume there will be arguments against it, we'll see...

Thomas

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dangerous (-5)

I m curious, what kind of posts that would be for ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

For stuff such as:

>Hi Praveen,

>

>Just update <single_field_of_SAP_table> directly where value = "xyz".

>

>I am sure it will work...

>

>Hugs,

>Julius

?

klaki
Explorer
0 Kudos

Everything that might cause a loss of data or stop a running system, of course!

But the suggested votings couldn't be done by the OP, otherwise he or she wouldn't ask

Cheers

Klaus

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It deserves more(negative side) than -5, as the person who tries this may lose his job 😮

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, that's what I had in mind with "dangerous".

And Klaus has a good point as well, all too often OP will rate 10 instead of -5...but maybe come back later and adjust

Thomas

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But if they introduce this system in SDN.

There will be ppl who will behave as point diminishers.Thats a threat too.

Some ppl cannot judge between different methods to solve your problem and stuffs which are actually misleading.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But they can grant positive points already, which is not much different.

E.g. you don't need an additional driver's license to buy a car with a reverse gear installed either... ;-).

I will bounce this thread in the moderator forum to see what other mods think of it.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But they can grant positive points already, which is not much different.

On the contrary yes, thats true.

It seriously needs a thought.

And I think thats the privellege which is misused by some ppl.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> And Klaus has a good point as well, all too often OP will rate 10 instead of -5...but maybe come back later and adjust

That would be a good thing for the above example, once the problems caused have started to appear.

On the other hand, the person might come back later and change the +10 to +6 only, and close the thread with the comment:

> Solved on my own using MANDT SPECIFIED where MANDT = p_mandt.

So should the OP take a negative point as well?

There have been discussions in the past about an *overall" rating on the thread as a whole, like a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" vote which can be cast.

This would still be my personal preference and encourage more participation by the silent lurkers in the forums and the spammers would have some feedback by the whole community and not just a handfull of moderators.

Cheers,

Julius

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> There have been discussions in the past about an *overall" rating on the thread as a whole, like a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" vote which can be cast.

"thumbs up" for this idea!

klaki
Explorer
0 Kudos

What I meant with my comment

..., otherwise he or she wouldn't ask

is, that the original poster might have other problems, after following an answer that

should be juged as -5, than comming back and changing the points !

That's what we call 'Nachdem das Kind in den Brunnen gefallen ist ..' in German,

I guess it's a little bit like 'Once the milk is spilt, it doesn't help a lot to go back'.

Nevertheless, I will vote for the 'overall rating', too.

Klaus

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> That's what we call 'Nachdem das Kind in den Brunnen gefallen ist ..' in German,

> I guess it's a little bit like 'Once the milk is spilt, it doesn't help a lot to go back'.

"Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted"

I've voted for a thumbs up/down or one-click star rating on threads before and still support the idea.

The problem with letting the questioner assign a negative is that they may never be aware of a bad/dangerous suggestion. I still see examples almost daily where people suggest mucking around tables where an API is provided. 3 months down the line when the OP discovers the API functions, is (s)he going to go back to their questions and adjust the scores? Yeah right!

Perhaps an abuse category of 'bad answer', which mods can review and assign if they agree?

It would have to include a reason of course...

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I'm casting my vote in favor of this idea. It may actually generate more work for me from people writing in complaining that their points have mysteriously decreased, but I think the resulting improvement in answer quality is worth it. To follow up on Klaus's comment about spilled milk..........I think this will help in that the consequence of spilled milk by lazy children is often a several days old gelatinous puddle that stinks

DB

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I like Mike's Point total.

Perhaps an abuse category of 'bad answer', which mods can review and assign if they agree?

Why can't we limit this opportunity up-to Mods only ?

I believe Sometimes OP's question is not clear enough to catch their requirement and not proper phrased either.

In such cases we've only option to respond based on our best instincts. Sometimes may be response based on imagination can hit their question sometimes may not.

Wait, Let me finish my sentence first, people often asks to OP to describes their requirement clearly but unfortunately they doesnu2019t response anymore. Meanwhile some cowboys jumps and started to answer based on their best understability. What's wrong in that?

IMO If the Negative ratings would give to all users it may lead more consequences than more tidiness to forum.

~2 cents

Cheers,

Amit.

come on let's start from [here|; or [here|;

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds like a good idea to me too. I somewhat agree with Amit that moderators should have some control over this, but I don't think it should just be up to us. It really should be up to the OP to determine what helps and what doesn't. On the other hand assigning points is generally so arbitrary that negative points should at least be reviewed by moderators.

Rob

klaki
Explorer
0 Kudos

Maybe, Julius might get a new toy than, pretty similar to his guest-o-blaster !

Probably, it'll be an just ification -o-blaster

Cheers

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would call it The Holy Handgrenade of Point-I-Knock ...

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah.. a late entrant into the discussion...

Firstly, great idea Anton. If we can tweak the Rules a bit then yeah we sure can Go-Live with the idea.

Amit, you literally spoke my mind. Mods having the control to give -ve points is a good idea.

Justification-o-blaster?? LMAO....

pk

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Why can't we limit this opportunity up-to Mods only ?

Isn't it too much for moderators ?? (I can't judge this but I have a feeling)

One more thing, moderators get to catch say 50 out of 100 threads with this, isn't it unfair on other 50 threads

Sure ppl can help with abuse button but abuse button is really helpful if it has more options(very important).Not many ppl know to use the "General Abuse" to indicate link farms or point gaming etc.

There may be many people who use Abuse button in ABAP forums but I doubt the same in other forums.

Wonder if there is a better solution for this.

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Isn't it too much for moderators ?? (I can't judge this but I have a feeling)

>

> One more thing, moderators get to catch say 50 out of 100 threads with this, isn't it unfair on other 50 threads

I donu2019t think so if this will be too much for Mods.

Yes, for mods this may be too much for today but not for tomorrow or day after tomorrow. If Abuse button were hit than Mods have to look into this. Lately but surely they would look into this and will take action accordingly.

~Just my thoughts

Cheers,

Amit.

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> >Just update <single_field_of_SAP_table> directly where value = "xyz".

> >

> >I am sure it will work...

Hmmm

Is it?

Cheers,

Amit.

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> If Abuse button were hit than Mods have to look into this. Lately but surely they would look into this and will take action accordingly.

"IF"

Sure ppl can help with abuse button but abuse button is really helpful if it has more options(very important).Not many ppl know to use the "General Abuse" to indicate link farms or point gaming etc.

There may be many people who use Abuse button in ABAP forums but I doubt the same in other forums.

How far ABUSE button is used in all forums ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I do agree that some users might misuse a negative rating to discredit each other but moderators watch the forums and address errant behaviour quite promptly so I guess this feature can be productively used, if implemented.

Moderators often lock threads with erratic posts so I believe they may have to verify every negative award for appropriateness. This will be more work for them, but I guess mostly in the initial phase.

As per the categories, we can probably experiment with just a -2 for grossly irrelevant / superficial / duplicate responses. And based on the results, more categories can be added.

Cheers,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Sure ppl can help with abuse button but abuse button is really helpful if it has more options(very important).

Yep,Minus rating is a good idea if there are more options provided in the Abuse button like it should be segregated by 2 sections

and the minus rating too should be different.

Quality of the solution: (-2 ponits Julius's Point-I-Knock )

1.Irrelevant answer.

2.Solution not suggested..etc

General Abuse: (-4 ponits or Julius's guest-o-blaster)

1.Cross posting

2.Basic/Interview question

3.Point gaming..etc

while receiving the Abuse reports Moderators can verify the thread with the kind of abuse report if found genuine can leave the same comment on the message with bold text, only then the OP and others can understand the consequences of the solution or the level of answer. If the abuse report is not genuine they can revoke the minus ponits to plus.Anyway or the other the moderators are verifying the abuse reports now but after implementing this i guess the abuse reports will increase by a good margin in ABAP forum rather in other forums because as Praveen said

>

> Not many ppl know to use the "General Abuse" to indicate link farms or point gaming etc.

> There may be many people who use Abuse button in ABAP forums but I doubt the same in other forums.

I am seeing lot many locked threads for duplicating or basic questions or ponit gaming only in the ABAP forums as it happens to be a very big forum it needs lot many people to maintain it.And posters are aware of this 'Abuse' feature and also the Rules of the forum and consequences of violating.

I am related to FI forum and when seeing the scenario here the threads which violates the rules is very less and also i dont think many knew the 'abuse' feature too.Because i have seen only few who warns the OP and report it.I dont think this 'Minus Feature' will bring any big difference in FI forum.

There are few people like Nathan,Karl Helm,Ravi Sankar Venna who give bench mark solutions can judge the level of the solution and do the clicking of the Abuse button.

For sure

This feature will improve the quality and the level of the solution/forum provided if it is implemented with more options and with proper flow.

just my view

~Andrew

Edited by: Andrew J on Jul 30, 2009 4:55 PM